SewingCrafts

Making Pillows From Placemats and Washcloths

Does anyone remember how to make the old fashioned washcloth pillows?

By patty hafford from NY

I made these pillows for Christmas for family members, but you could make them for any reason or decor. I bought at the dollar store the sets of 4 placemats with matching runner for $5, per set. Then I took 2 placemats and sewed them together, turned them inside out and stuffed with poly filled pillows that I bought at the same store on sale, 2 for $4. I cut the pillow open and used the stuffing, each pillow will stuff two of the theme pillows, and sew the bottom together. I put the 2 pillows together with the runner in the middle and tied it with pretty ribbon. Each family had 2 pillows for their sofa and a matching table runner for the coffee table. Everyone loved them. I would send a picture, but I have already packed up Christmas. Some of them were snowmen, angels, Christmas trees, wreaths and reindeer.

By Barbara from Wiggins, MS

Answers:

On a home improvement show I saw a neat pillow that had been made out of a bathroom rug! (01/25/2007)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Can't find pillows to match for your bedroom, den, or living room? Try placemats and washcloths! Take a pair of place mats or washcloths and some stuffing, and you can make your own pillows to match your decor perfectly! There are many designs and shapes available for everyday and holiday decor, and it can be cheaper to make than the premade pillows!

By Pamela W.

Answers:

There are also some lovely cloth napkins at thrift stores that can coordinate with your decor. Also table runners at the thrift make great long "bolster" type pillows.

By cj