Use Bandannas Instead of Washcloths

A red bandanna on a white background.
Handkerchiefs make great washcloths because they air dry quickly, so you don't have to worry about a stinky washcloths. This guide is about using bandannas instead of washcloths.

It is very unpleasant to go and wash your face with a stinky washcloth. I now purchase colorful bandannas to use in lieu of the traditional one. Even in humidity, they dry within a a few hours. Bonus, they are more pliable.

I imagine that individual family members could have their individual theme. The bandannas can be purchased for $1.00 or less.

By Chris A. from Potomac Falls, VA

Why would you re-use a wash cloth before it has been re-washed in the washing machine!!! Yuck. We have dozens and dozens of wash cloths and use it once. Then wring it out, drape it over the edge of the laundry basket so it can dry before putting it all the way in to the basket so as to avoid getting the other clothes damp and have them turn moldy.

There is a stack of fresh clean ones in the bathroom at all times. If I feel they are getting a bit worn out, I just get another bag of 10 from the dollar store for a buck.

As for the bandanas, they are great for keeping ones neck cool in summer. Just dampen, wave in the air for a moment, then lay it around your neck. It's freezing cold!. When it gets warm, just wave it in the air again. When it gets dry, just dampen it again. At the end of the day toss it in the laundry. It's sweaty and will smell.

A lot of people will reuse their wash cloth or towel two or three times, drying in between uses, before retiring it to be washed. A lot of people, especially those with disabilities will reuse them because they cannot afford "dozens and dozens" of anything, nor can they sometimes easily access a washer or dryer to wash them after one use. I don't think Chris A. from Potomac Falls, VA was posting to be critcized or be made to feel dirty - I think they were posting a legitimate, usable tip that many people might benefit from.

Oh my bad! Forgive my ignorance of not keeping multiple dozens of washcloths in my linen closet.

Actually Jron was spot on about one thing. Currently I do have a disability. I have had multiple surgeries on my left hip since January. I was viable before, working and very Mobil. For almost 7 months I have been reduced to using a walker. It is hopefully temporary for me, but I know I am not the only person living with some inconveniences.

My tip of using bandannas for wash cloths has helped me. I can wash my face with the bandanna, rinse it and it dries in no time.

I hoped that somebody else could benefit from a solution I have found helpful.

Sometimes one half just never knows how the other half lives - a fact I'm discovering more and more as time goes on.

I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar in the bathroom, so I can spritz a washcloth, rinse in hot water, and hang to dry for re-use.

Blessings for speedy health and healing.