LawnGardening

Growing Grass Over Oil Spots

Category Lawn

Does anyone know how to get grass to grow over oil spots? The people who lived in our house before must have parked their car on the grass and their car dripped oil. There are 3 areas, each about 16 inches. I've tried covering with potting soil and reseeding. Grass grows, but dies within the month.

Irene

You might want to consider digging out the contaminated dirt and replacing it with clean soil. I know that's a lot of work but it may be the best solution. I hope all goes well for you.

I agree with the other poster, dig out the bad oil spots then replace it with composted manure (from Lowe's), dig up some of your grass. Plant in the spots, keep damp, good luck.

I ask my hubby about your problem with oil in lawn. He had this problem years ago. He suggested to pour a little gas on the spot, wait a few minutes then stand back.

Set it on fire, and let it burn till it stops. The oil will be gone, then plant new grass in the spot. Keep it damp, good luck.