Cooking TipsFood Tips

Placing Hot Pans on Glass Tops Stoves

Category Cooking Tips

I just purchased a glass top oven, but haven't used the stove top yet. With my traditional coil top I used to take my pot off the burner and transfer it to a cold burner to stop the cooking process. Will this crack the top? Can I place a hot pan from the oven onto the cold surface top?

By Denise

I have had mine about eight years now and never had a problem,putting hot pans any where they fit sometimes. I will say though, be careful what you clean the glass surface with because the design wears off if you use a cleaner not designed for glass tops.

I don't have a glass top, so I have no idea. But did you read through the owner's manual? I'm not trying to be smart, but it seems like your concern is very legitimate, and if there is risk of damage from placing a hot pan on a cool burner, they should mention it in the owner's manual. That's where I would start looking for an answer.

Whatever you put on your glass top stove, put it down gently. One of my friends accidentally plopped a pot full of boiling water down too hard and had to buy a new glass top.

I have mine for over ten years and never had a problem with hot pans placing them on the cold burners or taking anything out of the hot oven and placing it on the top. In fact I use mine as an extra counter top when need be, But I notice just this year that the burner I use the most that the black has started slowly coming off. Maybe this is just age and use.

Yes, you can place a hot saucepan, frying pan or anything you take from the oven onto your stove top. I've had mine for years and (knock on wood) there have been no mishaps to date.

Read your manual. My stove manual says not to do it so I always place hot pans on my granite countertop.