Prevent Apples Slices from Turning Brown

What do I use to keep cut apple from turning brown?

By Jerry Bankhead from Goldsboro, NC

Best Answer

If I peel apples and want to cook later, I put them in some water, just enough to cover them. I add lemon juice and two tablespoons sugar. Then I put them in the refrigerator. When I take them out I can just pour them into a pan and cook, with the liquids. You don't lose any flavor.

See all the archives below. I use lemon or lime juice myself. It also works to keep them submerged (completely) in water. This also works for potatoes. (But don't do the submerging thing for long, as I just imagine it pulls out vitamins and minerals into the water).

Toss them in lemon or orange juice.

I also live in N.C. Older folks, when they put up apples in the winter, would peel and quarter them, and soak them in lightly salted water, until they either canned or froze them.

My friend Bill taught me that you can also sprinkle apple slices with ascorbic acid powder, which is available at vitamin stores. As a bonus, it contributes some Vitamin C.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMarch 7, 2011
📓
🌻
🎂