Preventing Color From Bleeding on Clothing?

How do you stop red material from running into other light colours in a dress when it is washed for the first time?

By Ros Scott

Use those Shout Color Catcher sheets. You will find them in the laundry department. I have found they work really good, and I use them anytime I launder something that might bleed onto other items and even if I have some times put what I call a medium colored item in with a darker or lighter load.

I would try using the dryel system on the dress. It offers spot cleaning and really freshens clothing nicely.

Anonymous

Did you put the Shout color catchers in the Dryel bag or did you put them outside the bag in the dryer

I have a Nascar sweatshirt jacket that has become dirty on the sleeves. The dry cleaners won't guarantee that the red lettering won't bleed on to the white. How can I wash this jacket?

By Shirley

Answers

Anonymous

As long as your jacket is washable use Shout Color Catchers in the washer and I would recommend cold water wash. They work great and are very reasonable.

Answer this Question

I have towels that are mint green and when I washed them with like colors they bleed onto the other clothing and continue to bleed. How do I repair the other clothing and how do I stop the towels from bleeding?

By Norma Sullivan from PA

Answers:

Preventing Color From Bleeding on Clothing

I dye wool and when I want to set the color, I use white vinegar or citric acid. If you really want to keep these towels, I would wash them separately in a very hot tub of water with 1 cup of white vinegar. Let the towels soak about 30 minutes. Wash as usual. Hope this sets the excess dye in the towels. (07/20/2010)

By Barb

I am trying to wash red polyester fabric with white letters on it, but I don't want the red to run and turn the letters pink. How can I stop this from happening? I don't have a lot of money so any household items would be great.

Selena from Saskatoon, SK

Answers:

My grandmother taught me to use vinegar and salt. I use about 4 parts vinegar to 2 parts salt. Dissolve it into your washing water first or hot water first, before adding clothes. This works every time. (04/17/2007)

By Nicole

Shout makes a product that are like dryer sheets you can get at the grocery. shoutitout.com I have no stock, interest whatever in this product, I just know it works.
(01/14/2008)

By Wendy

If you do have something fade during the wash I've found that regular 75% or 90% isopropyl alcohol will take almost all of the fade out without bothering the surrounding colors. Put the garment in a large bowl or bucket (garment can be wet or dry, but try to catch it before it goes thru the dryer) and pour the alcohol over it. Work it thru the garment (like you are hand washing it).

If the stain is persistent let the garment soak overnight. If the alcohol evaporates, just add more. It will not bleach the garment, make it fall apart, etc. I used this technique on a green/white silk blouse (which ended up pink) and it worked like a charm! It will work on any stain that is "synthetic" e.g. ink, dye, etc. If it's protein based (blood, grass, etc.) use hydrogen peroxide, but beware! Strong H2O2 will bleach (thus peroxide blondes). (03/25/2008)

By Kathleen

I made a flag quilt for my son and it had a lot of reds, blues, yellows, and white in it. I knew it had to be washed and I washed it in cold water with a lot of table salt in it, close to half a box. It came out good, but when someone else washed it, they did not put any thing in to stop the colors and it ruined the quilt. Hope this works for you. (12/24/2008)

By Ruby

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 23, 2010
🐛
🐰
👒
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf53508506.tip.html