How To Get a Vintage Look When Matting Pictures?

I've got a project I'm working on and I need some input. What type of picture frame and mat would one use to create a Vintage Look? I used a black frame with a black mat background and was told it looked too contemporary. I don't want that, I'm after VINTAGE.


Pam from Lincoln, DE

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

By Tussiemussies (Guest Post)
December 11, 20070 found this helpful


For a vintage look, you may want to get a picture frame that is made out of tin, they somewhat look like a pattern of the old tin ceilings, and then they are painted lightly to give a "distressed" type of painted look. You can find something like this in stores like "Michaels" they sell crafts and picture frames, if they have a store near you. You can look online at their website and do a store search.

Any type of "distressed" look will look vintage. I have some wood frames and saw that there is a Krylon brand spray paint that is a white "crackle" paint and am planning to try and spray these wood frames with this crackle to give a distressed look. Am not sure though if I need to prime them first lightly or not.


Good luck! : )


Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 66 Requests
December 11, 20070 found this helpful

My niece gave me a vintage looking frame last Christmas. It is wood and a soft robin's egg blue in color. It looks like paint was applied to the frame then immediately wiped off. The result is old and distressed looking.

By Lynn (Guest Post)
December 12, 20070 found this helpful

If you do a Google search on "Victoriana" you will come up with many sites showing Victorian styles including cards. Take a look through them, the cards in particular will give you good ideas and reference points.

January 7, 20080 found this helpful

Hi, the matting inside corners should have cut out corners of some kind. Start looking through magazines, a cross-stitch magazine, or what ever you have to get a look at the different styles of framing that could be done on a framed picture.


Draw out a rough stetch of it and take it to a frame maker with what you have to put in it. They should and will be very helpful to what would look the best and of corse, the price is up to you. Good Luck, hope this is some kind of help.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Crafts FramingDecember 10, 2007
Father's Day Ideas!
Fourth of July Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-05-23 10:26:33 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.