MeatFreezing

Refreezing Link Sausage

Can you refreeze link sausages that are uncooked? Thanks!

By Faith from Clyo, GA

If you bought the Link sausage frozen and they thawed out, you cannot refreeze them. They will make you very sick. This is true for any type of meat. Don't ask me why this is, but I learned it in my Food Handler class.

They will make you sick because freezing does not kill bacteria. It retards the growth. So whatever bacteria is in the meat when you thaw it will still be there if you refreeze it. Then when you thaw the meat and don't cook it, the bacteria grows. If you thaw meat and do not want to use it, cook it anyway then freeze it.

I've done that for years. Refreeze them, but only if they haven't been sitting there for a very long time.

I refreeze them only if I had them out thawed, used part of the package for a meal, then pop them right back in the freezer.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't refreeze sausage or any kind of meat. I've been doing it for years, my mother did it for years and somehow I've made it to age 59 yrs old so far. You will get sick perhaps if you eat it raw, but if you cook it, you will not get sick.