Using Self Stick Vinyl Floor Tiles on a Shower Wall

Can you use self stick vinyl floor tiles on a shower wall?

By christy from Alexandria, LA

Best Answer

No! There is nothing that seals the cracks between the tiles. Water would get in and the tiles would be damaged. But before they would fall apart, they'd get full of mold. This would be more trouble than it would be worth. A tub surround kit would work much better and be less trouble in the long run. It may even be cheaper than buying all those tiles.

Anonymous

not if you dont use the shower or get the walls wet, we have a tub not a shower, and i am going to try this

what if you glue the vinyl planking over the tile, would the glue seal the joints?

I don't know, but I used some for grease protection back behind a stove (it sat out far from the wall) once in a house I owned. Sure easy to clean! I would imagine you would need some really heavy duty glue (over and beyond the self stick part) and maybe you should use good quality tiles so it would be more durable.

Anonymous

Has any one used grout on their vinyl?

I kind of doubt it. I used self-stick tiles on our bathroom floor, and when some water sloshed out of the tub, it loosened the glue and caused them to shift.

I wish I'd used linoleum, now.

You could try it, but why do you want to do that. It would be a bear to remove them.

Anonymous

This is actually something I am researching. Amazes me how many people can't think of a good reason why anyone would want to do it.

For those people, let me say that some people just happen to really like the look of certain tiles. Or, they like a certain look and could only afford it with vinyl tiles instead of ceramic. Or, they don't have the skill set to put up ceramic tiles, but, they might have the skill set to put up vinyl tiles and then, somehow, seal them.

But, for me, I live in an apartment where the tub surround is actively peeling from the wall. Don't give me advice about making the owner fix it - trust me when I say that is not, currently, the solution to the problem, because, I don't want to take the time to explain the full situation.

It smells moldy, there is a large crack in more than one place and so the tub surround needs to go. I have an extremely limited budget and even should the owner get involved, so do they. Plus, there are the constraints caused by health issues and the desire to spend less time without a functional shower, and a person who has Asperger's is involved, who would probably just use the shower without the surround no matter what I said, if that situation lasted too long.

So, putting up vinyl tiles and sealing them, somehow, might be the only way to make the project at all affordable, and, get the job done quick enough that everything wouldn't be ruined by the impatience of a person with a neurological condition.

And, I am allergic to mold, so, I need it to get done. Therefore I am looking for options that might possibly be afforded.

And, for those who say that vinyl tile cannot be used in the bathroom, I have vinyl tiles on my bathroom floor. They work fine. I have zero problem with them, despite the amount of water that regularly gets on the floor from people showering.

So, maybe vinyl floor tiles used as a shower wall might not be the best or brightest idea for those with enough money to go some other way. But, the question is not if you think it is the best and brightest idea. The question is, is it possible?

That question deserves an answer, not based on opinion, but, considered thought which involves some delving into materials that would be needed to make it possible, if there are any. And, consideration of the feasibility of it being worthwhile considering the other materials needed.

IE: If one had to then Varathane the entire wall and wait for it to dry for a week, that would significantly raise the cost and inconvenience; which might make zero difference to someone who wanted a very specific design, but, would make a difference to someone who wanted low cost and a quick fix.

And, since we are on a subject where ceramic tiles are often mentioned as an alternative, what about those basically peel and stick ceramic tiles? Do they work for a shower wall? And, if not, can they be made to work? How?

I've read of people using vinyl plank flooring on shower walls, actually; but, unfortunately, they did not go into enough detail to let others know how to successfully follow their idea for themselves.

I'm so happy to hear someone finally ask this question the way I have been trying to say forever cause I'm in the same situation as you and can't Ator this remodel bath and tile grout?? Just need help how to and what can I use does it work??

To the dismay of all the naysayers, vinyl floor tile can be done in the shower. I used vinyl floor tile as a replacement in my shower surround right over the existing fiberglass surround.

I sanded with 60 grit sandpaper, cleaned the surface, then used silicone sealant/adhesive and applied it just like thinset. Used spacers between tiles and after drying caulked in between tiles with the silicone. This both sealed it and made it water-resistant so moisture could not get into/behind the tiles. I shower everyday and it has held up for two years now w/no issues. I am preparing to do another the same way. If you are applying the tiles over existing ceramic tiles, I would sand it with 40/60 grit sandpaper (enough to rough surface) and would use the silicone sealant the way I did. I have also watched a video of this being done and the application was successful. Avoid the naysayers and those who think it won't work just because they haven't done it or seen it done. Remember, necessity is the mother of all inventions.
Good luck in your project and GO FOR IT!

Well I have seen them put on a kitchen floor with grout..so why not a shower?

At last! A positive attitude! Good on ya! I would add to it the following advice:
- Use a vinyl tile system that includes a vinyl tile grout. It's way easier to install than ceramic tile grout. Use tile spacers to give yourself a consistent grout line.
- use an adhesive primer designed for the system you choose, applied as recommended for the substrate you're applying over.
- Love the results!

What color silicone did you use clear ? What did you cut the tiles with ?

I am so glad to hear..planning on doing it in my shower...did it on my kitchen counters 8years ago and grouted..it is still looking like new...If you can walk and wash it...why not!

Here's a thought. What if you used some clear silicone sealant to put over, under (or both) the seams where the tiles joined together? A nice waterproof silicone sealant, that is. Plus, a strong glue?

Though, I don't know how to make it look good with silicone sealant.

And, if not vinyl, what about rubber? Or, would that be more likely to absorb water and not release it? I know tires can have weird things happen to them when in water too long, but, I think the sun is also usually involved.

They have self adhesive tiles now that you would lay down just like ceramic tiles than grout them so I assume it would work just fine

Instead of one foot squares, use an end of sheet vinal. 5 foot wide by 9 foot long. Start on the faucet side to cut holes, dry fit it. Use contact glue...a least two people should put it up because of its size. After the glue has set up, caulk all edges "Big Stretch Caulking" it has a mold inhibiotor, and will stay on your wall. Sometimes you can get it at a discount because of it's small size at carpet stores. (Scrap)

Just to add to the noise, I have a tub with plain white tile surround. But, the tile only comes up to chest level, and I want to be able to take a shower. I added an EZ-FLO 15087 Bath Tub Diverter Spout with Side Outlet, and a hand held shower head on a hose, and a rounded rectangular shower curtain ring so the shower would not spray the walls above the existing surround. This kind of worked, but it was a pain to take a shower as the airflow upward made the curtain blow up against your body.

We are redoing the floor with a marble look LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) and if there is enough extra I am going to try it for *extending* the surround to shower level. Plan to use plastic molding with silicone at corners and edges. Wish me luck!

Since click-lock planking claims to be waterproof on a floor, this should be no problem since it is horizontal and the water will never have anywhere to pool, is what I think. And not much water will be splattering up that high anyway I hope.

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJune 15, 2010
🍀
💘