Painting TechniquesDecorating

Painting Over Gold Strip in Molding

I live in a mobile home and in my kitchen above my cabinets there is molding and it has a strip of gold/brass. It is very ugly and it is shiny. I am wanting to paint it. is there anything i need to do to it so the paint will hold? I do not want to paint the whole thing just the little strip to match my wall color. Thanks for your help.

Connie from Colt, AR

Buy a high-adheasive primer like Zinsser 1-2-3 or Gripper at your home center then let dry overnight & cover with the paint you'd like. I'd recommend a 100% acrylic paint like regular Liquitex brand that's sold at most craft stores, but any latex indoor house paint will also work. Be sure to mask off the area first. If you buy the cheaper hobby paints they don't have as much pigment in them & you may need more than one coat. Lastly, if you'd like you can then cover the whole area with a clear transparent sealer so you can wash it easier, but this is an option & not really necessary.

* I forgot to mention to FIRST wash your hands to remove any lotions or natural oils from them, then with a soft cloth wipe down the whole area to be primed & painted with rubbing alcohol just in case there's a tiny bit of oil or grease from cooking. It may LOOK perfectly clean, but the rubbing alcohol is your guarantee that the primer will stick, especially in a kitchen!