My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: Bread With a Mission

My Frugal LifeMy husband enjoys going on mission trips with our home church, but the cost is expensive for the trip. In order to defray the costs of the trip, I make homemade sourdough bread on a weekly basis and sell it at church for $5.00 a loaf; it is a delicious bread that is brushed with honey butter.

I wrap each loaf in a "Always Fresh" bread bag that is of durable quality, saves money and eliminates waste; it locks in freshness in the bread and these bags are reusable. I put the bagged bread in large lunch bags with a homemade tag (with cute clip art) which states the purpose, "Iceland Team Mission 2011, my husband's name, and "From the oven of Mama Doe!"

I have people at my church that look forward to a loaf of bread each week. My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter loves to help me make the bread dough; we have a lot of fun preparing it, placing it in the rising buckets, then cleaning up. And she is a little missionary helping her grandfather raise the $1300.00+ spending money for his missions trip to Iceland this year!

By JOSE from Collierville, TN

My Frugal Life: Bread With a Mission

My Frugal Life: Bread With a Mission

That is really great! He gets to go on his trip without a big strain. The church member get yummy homemade bread, and that little one in the photo is cute beyond words! God bless.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a wonderful and creative way to afford the trips! I am sure the people at your church agree!

Reply Like this photo? Yes