GardenPhotos

Garden: Early Garlic

I planted my garlic late last year (or maybe winter came sooner), and it started popping up about 3 weeks ago. In that time, it's grown about 5 inches. This is in my 4x4 raised bed with tomato cages and plastic covering them.

The first picture was taken on 3-17-2011, the second on 3-26-2011.

By Melissa M.

SignsOfSpring400x267.jpg

Garden: Homegrown Garlic
Homegrown Garlic

The picture of garlic from my garden last year.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Answers:

Garden: Homegrown Garlic

Here's a tip for those of you who garden and want to stop some of those bad bugs from chewing your plants. Plant onions and garlic in the garden and the smell deters parasites. It's really easy, take some cheep onions and cloves of garlic, plant them in the garden, root side down and leave just a tiny bit of the top exposed. They will sprout and multiply. When they get too tall and or start to put out flowers, cut the tops off and chop the cuttings in inch sized pieces and spread in the garden. You don't even need to bury them. The aroma just makes aphids and others go somewhere else. (02/27/2009)

By Chris T.