Preventing Mold from Growing in Washed Tupperware?

You know that large Tupperware bowl that's only used for potato salad and making stuffing and Chex mix? Well, the last couple of times that I've used it, there's been mold growing in it.


I know that when I put it away it's dry, but I do seal it. Would some baking soda in the bowl help? Should I not seal it? Any suggestions, it just adds one more step in the preparation process and, it's not very pleasant to see either. Thanks, and merry, merry.

By Teri Van Hecke from St. Louis

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 28, 20090 found this helpful

How very odd! I would wash it well with hot soapy water then wipe out the container with white distilled vinegar, let dry without rinsing and then put it away with the lid OFF.

Maybe also try storing it in a different cupboard or location? Does your house have humidity issues at all or other mold issues? Good Luck to you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 29, 20090 found this helpful

I do store it in a lower part of the house, that isn't dry - I will try the vinegar rinse - thanx for your time!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 1, 20090 found this helpful

Plastic is not solid like glass or porcelain. It contracts and expands more and easier, trapping grease, food, bacteria, sugars, etc. in the pores when expanded in heat and contracting/ trapping when cooled down. "Dishwasher Safe", is only Safe in that is won't melt. It's not safe for eating from over and over if washed in hot water, and the cheaper the plastic type, the more dangerous it is to wash and recycle because of it's chemical make up and thickness.


Rubbermaid items must have some rubber in them as well as plastic, to perhaps make them stronger, but they still are not solid like glass, and are in need of hand washing only, even if promised to be dishwasher safe.

I do not regularly use anything other than glass, porcelain, china or cast iron/ stainless steel. I use plastics only one time for illnesses as disposables, and camping rarely. I have reduced our sickness rates by 90% this way, and by changing toothbrushes daily during illnesses (using the 5 for $1.00), and by not eating fresh or fast foods between Dec. - May of each year because it's the highest flu season.

Many bacteria, viruses and molds cause illnesses, are transmitted from hands and breath, in moisture, as you know, and the more of them you get, the longer the illness lasts.


Reducing them is the key to health because we can never create or live in a "sterile" environment. Learning about food handling is most important, as well. Hand washing is critical but not over doing it. If one can afford rubber gloves, use them for contagion and to save skin and nails from too much hand washing soaps. BTW, the chemical Triclosan, found in Many cheap liquid soaps, shampoos, and dish soaps is poison!
It's tragic that it's been used so freely, so pass the word on.
I use it with rubber gloves/ paper towels, for things I don't eat on such as the oven spills, table tops, floor spills, and
outside patio furniture only. It's antibacterial perhaps, but is dangerous so stay ALERT or don't use it at all.

Mold grows all year and can be deadly as can the bleach it takes to truly get rid of MOST of it, not necessarily all of it. I believe I would toss the moldly ones and begin again with more solid , truly safe containers, wash whatever you can by hand rather than permanently embed germs/ viruses mold/ foods/ greases in the materials for another day. God bless you. : )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 1, 20090 found this helpful

Mold build up in a plastic food container? I personally would not use it anymore and discard it!


Plastic is porous and absorbs food, chemicals like bleach and even mold spores deep within the crevices :-o Not worth risking health issues!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 1, 20090 found this helpful

First rinse or let soak in bleach and water. The bleach will kill "all" mold residue, then store upside down for a couple of hours to a day so that it dries well and no water or moisture is left inside (mold can only grow on wet or moist surfaces). Then store as you like.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 13, 20090 found this helpful

Most Tupperware being airtight, storing it with the lid on is a no-no. I have the large Fix and Mix bowl too, and Lots of other Tupperware. I never store the airtight containers with their lids on them.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 3, 20170 found this helpful

In other words - throw all my tuppperware away!!!!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Home and Garden Cleaning DishesNovember 28, 2009
Easter Ideas!
Mother's Day Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-03-24 09:14:01 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.