Prescription DrugsHealth & Beauty

Prescription Savings on Ibuprofen

My doctor wrote me a script for ibuprofen tablets. I had no idea how much cheaper this would be then just buying at the store. I bought 270 pills 800 mg. size for $20.00. I usually pay $3.00 for 100 pills 200 mg. size (generic).

Per 800mg. dose of the script = 7 cents
Per 800 mg. dose over the counter = 12 cents.
A savings for me of $36.50 a year. Every little bit helps.

By Janet from Brant Rock, MA

Take the prescription your Doctor told you to. The 800 mg are all in or should be in 1 tablet, Aspirin is hard enough on your stomach, if you figure it right you will have to take 4 pill's each time you take this. Which also mean's buying larger bottles (which are not cheap). Also remember not to take this on a empty stomach you can have a lot of problems with your stomach if you do not. Anything from a ulcers to irritable bowel problems. I have been there before taking massive doses of aspirin and it really tore up my stomach. If you do choose to take the one's from the store try finding ascriptan (not sure of spelling) or a coated pill which will help some but if stomach problems like the flu develop after being on this for a while call your Doctor as they have things that can help calm your stomach. Good Luck! Whatever you do. Darlene

You will probably find similar savings on other drugs also. My 30 day supply of the generic for Prilosec OTC is about 6 dollars where as the store price for the name brand is over $20.00 for a 30 day supply. The savings will probably be determined on your insurance co-pay plan but it was a considerable savings for me.