BulbsGardening

Trimming Amaryllis Leaves

When do you cut the leaves of amaryllis bulbs that stay outside year round? I know you cut the flower stalks about 2 in. above the base once they have bloomed, but what about the leaves?

Also, what is good for grasshoppers. I used seven dust but it has been raining too much for repeat applications. Also what is good for brownish spots and aphids? Thanks for any help.

Martha from Ridgeway, SC

Don't cut the leaves back at all. That's how the bulb is storing up the energy for the blooms. They're like daffodils that way- just let them die back on their own. If they're getting on your nerves, plant something seasonal around them to hide the leaves until they've died all the way back.

I have two amaryllis that grow year round in my home. I cut off the individual leaf when it turns yellow down the center of the leaf.

This signals that the leaf has served it's purpose and it will soon get limp and dry up. Letting the leaf turn brown and dry up serves no purpose for the plant and it does not cause any damage to remove it once the process starts.