SubstitutionsFood Tips

When to Use Shortening?

When a recipe calls for shortening in cookies, bars, cake, etc., how do you know if they really mean shortening, as in Crisco, or if butter can be used?

By BonnieAlice

I don't know if Crisco still makes it, but for awhile they made butter flavored Crisco, and at that time I started substituting margarine for the Crisco, that way I only had to buy one product. I haven't done any baking for years unless I use mixes, and that isn't real often as I am a type 2 diabetic.

You can use either or, at least that's what I do.

I have found all butter greasy, so I use half butter and half vegetable oil. I prefer soy oil has it seems to have absolutely no flavor of its own. I can't use Crisco because of the preservatives, so I have experimented quite a bit. Olive oil doesn't seem to work as well--again, too greasy.

If you are using a liquid shortening, you will need to adjust how you combine ingredients.

Some times it works best to add it with the other liquids. If creaming sugar, just add the oil and sugar and mix though it will take longer. Same with recipes requiring the shortening be cut into the dry ingredients. Hope this helps.