Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

I have a vintage leather jacket that has a musty smell on it. What can I do to remove the aroma?

By Christopher from Stuart, FL

Whatever it is with a musty smell put it in a garbage bag with lots of crumpled newspaper. Leave it in the bag for a few days. If the smell is still there when you open the bag leave it there for another couple of days, replacing the newspaper.Use a twist tie on the bag to be certain it is securely closed.

Oh I Most certainly am grateful for this! I received a new, unused wallet and it's musty smelling. Trying to salvage it. I'm pretty sure storage was the issue. Newspaper is amazing for cleaning windows too! Thank you!, L.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get the musty smell out of a leather handbag?

By robin from London, Ontario

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

You might try baking soda. I've done that with an old leather purse that had a strange odor and it worked for that. I just poured it into the purse and allowed it to sit overnight. (11/12/2010)

By Monica

How does one clean terrible mildew/mold odor from a leather handbag? I do not take well to any chemical scents. Are there any safe products out there for this problem?

By ChungJin Yoon from Ann Arbor, MI

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

I would try things in this order, (doing the next one if the previous didn't do the job):

1. Put some plain charcoal briquettes in an old sock and put them in the purse for a few days.
  2. Baking soda in a sock, same way
  3. Fresh coffee grounds (not used) in a sock

Good luck.

(08/26/2010)

By Jill

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

You could hang the purse outside in the sun and fresh air for several days, pulling the lining out to hang it by if possible. Clip it to a skirt hanger and hag out. If there is a fabric lining, you could spray it with a 1/3 lemon juice to 2/3 water solution. If you can test the lemon solution on the leather and it does not harm it, spray the leather as well. Let air dry outside. (08/27/2010)

By jean leiner

How do I remove the moldy smell from leather handbags?

By Pia from Laguna Beach, CA

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

Here are some ideas:

1. Put some vinegar on a cloth and swab the leather with it. Leave open in the sun to dry and air out.
  2. Put an open cup of baking soda inside and leave for a week. The baking soda will absorb the smell.
  3. Put some dry coffee grounds inside and leave for a week.
  4. Spray with Lysol or other disinfectant to kill the mold. (06/11/2010)

By Jennifer

I am looking for tips for the removal of the musty smell on leather motorcycle trousers. I have tried leaving them out overnight in the cold and also sprayed them with a fine mist of watered down disinfectant, but to no avail. Can anybody help? Thanking you.

By kenny campbell from Belfast, Ireland

How to remove a musty smell from the inside of a leather handbag?

Getting My leather jackets have a musty smell. How do i get it out?

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsDecember 27, 2010
🍀
💘