Food SafetyFood Tips

Stainless Steel Pan

My Stainless Steel Fry Pan was heated without anything in it and the metal is scorched. It doesn't seem to affect cooking, but is it still safe to use?

Gayle from New York

Personally I would continue to use it unless it has some kind of nonstick coating. However I would check the manufacturer's Web site for information. I would also call my local County Extension Service and talk with a real, live humann being about it. They can usually answer such questions and the service (at least in my area) is free.

I hope someone more knowledgable than I am will respond to your question. My main concern would be if the pan base contains aluminum some of it might have leeched through the steel. I've heard this happens but have never seen verification of it so I'm not sure.