Cross Breeding Dogs

My dog is 3/4 min pin and 1/4 chihuahua. If I breed her with a full bred chihuahua will her puppies be considered a min pin chihuahua mix, or mutts?

By Kakors from Richland, WA

Definitely with a bernese! But why do you want to breed her to begin with? Is it to continue the breed? Or are you just thinking they'd be cute puppies that you could make some extra money with?

If it's the "cute puppy and extra money" reason, then please, for the sake of the future dogs you'd be producing! Find another method of making money!

If it's to better the breed, then contact your local Bernese Mountain Dog breed club (you can find out about them through WWW.AKC.ORG) and talk to them before you do anything else.

I would say they would be min-pin/chihuahua mix. We have a chi-a-poo (3/4 chihuahua, 1/4 poodle). She was bred with a full bred chihuahua and her puppies are also considered chi-a-poos because of the poodle in the mother.

Renee in TN

Please reconsider. Many people think their dog would make a great litter of puppies, but there are so many dogs out there that need homes. Please don't breed your dogs.

Anonymous

That's really a question to ask of the AKC because they can give you a correct answer with certainty. If the dogs aren't registered and you don't plan on selling the puppies I am begging you don't breed because there are so many unwanted dogs and puppies out there already that need homes and are put to sleep if not adopted :-(

If you're interested, click on my contact button here and maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee cause I live in Richland, WA too ;-)

Mixed breed dogs are mutts.

Here is a very small sample of what goes on all over the country, there are hundreds no probably thousands of dogs euthanized every day.

All of the above mentioned dogs, except the chihuahua are mutts. All mixed breed dogs (even the expensive cutesie ones) are really just mutts.

Please don't do it. There are too many dogs in shelters who need homes, don't add to the problem. Have your dogs spayed and neutered. Please.

Please don't think about the dog's health but if you cross breed them then they have double trouble. My little man has crocked legs an squashed chest. My husband and son bought him for me. Owners never mentioned it to them. I noticed ot younger than advertised. Vet said 4 weeks but he wasn't sure if he would pull through. Thank god he did. he was crossed with larger Chihuahua.