Store Fresh Ginger in Freezer

I love to make Asian food, and I like to make it with fresh ginger. I buy a big chunk of ginger root from the market, but have wasted a lot in the past. I found if I blanch the root in boiling water, peel it using the edge of a spoon (I use a grapefruit spoon), then freeze the chunk in a zip lock bag (Be sure to squeeze out all the air), I have fresh ginger whenever I want.

I take out the frozen chunk and grate the amount I need with a microplane, then pop it back into the bag and refreeze. Lasts till I use it up. Works great for really nice ginger cookies too.

By Christine from Los Osos, CA

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 2, 2010
💘
🍀