AnnualsGardening

Color Washing Off a Vinca When I Water It

The color washes off the bright pink annual vinca I planted when I water it. I've never had that happen with a plant before. Does this happen with all the brightly colored vincas? The light pink ones I have look great.

Debbie from Valdosta, GA

Flower color is at the cellular level. Some bright colors simply are more sensitive and fade quicker then others.

I wonder if the minerals in the water could be altering the color. You are able to change the color of hydrangeas from pink to blue by changing the mineral content of the soil and additives to the water. Maybe vinca responds the same way...