Clearing Vegetation from Property

I have about 14 acres of property. The timber was removed from it about 10 years ago, so now I have about 10 years of growth to deal with. My wife and I are planning on building a house on the property, and will be clearing a couple of acres of land to do it. It's really thick, but the largest trees I'll be dealing with are little pines that are about 2 in. in diameter.

I've run heavy equipment most of my life, and I'm thinking that a "bush hog" might do the job. I've watched a couple of videos of guys getting off into some pretty serious vegetation with a hog, and it seems to be the way to go. I don't want to go in with a dozer because I don't want to disturb the ground that much right now. Not to mention the fact that I don't want mud all over the place. What are your thoughts on this?

By 01indianbob from Ore City, TX

I've seen some pretty big stuff cut with a Bush Hog (did you know that's a brand name?) but I would go in with a chain saw and cut the biggest stuff first. Just to save fixing that gear box.

Yes sir, I do know that 'Bush Hog' is a brand name, but it is also a common term describing a 'pull behind' that cuts grass, clears brush, and otherwise tears down some pretty serious vegetation. Rest assured that I will have 'chainsaw in hand' as I trek toward the center of the property with my rig...going where no man has gone before...to infinity!
Yes, I guess that was a little much wasn't it...been watching too much TV with the kids.