RoofHome Improvement

Brown Water Spots on Ceiling

I have water spots on my ceiling and I have a new roof. The roof on my house is only 1 year old, and I have been seeing new water spots on the ceiling in the bathroom, bedroom and laundry room. Its not just water spots, it is brown like tar and looks like it is going to drip. The icicles on the outside of the house are brown. I just don't understand what is going on. Last winter was the first winter with the new roof and it didn't do this. Please help!

By Trisha from MI

Get a builder to look at it. Maybe they can tell you what it is, good luck.

Hi, I once had a brown stain on my roof. not very big but enough to be unsightly. Turned out that the pipe feeding the tank of the water boiler was rusted and dripping very slightly. Just enough to stain the roof. in a way, it was a blessing because I could get it fixed, by a plumber, of course, before it broke completely and caused havoc!

Definitely ask a person who is experienced with roofing, but if they can't find anything...

I have a question for you. Was last winter warmer than this winter where you live? If it was, your problem could be excess moisture in your house. When it is below zero here, we have water condense on areas of our ceiling where there is little insulation, because of the colder temperatures in those spots. The condensing water causes the paint to run somewhat leaving brown spots on the ceiling or streaks down the walls. Even white paint will do this, only lighter. The best thing to do is to go in the attic and make sure there is enough insulation in those spots. Also leaving a ceiling fan or other fan running on low is helpful.