AdvicePets

Reviews of Advantage Multi for Dogs

I'm concerned about using a topical for my dog. It is called Advantage Multi. I have always used pills for heartworms, etc. I don't think I would like to put a chemical on my dog. Can anyone share their thoughts on this topical Advantage Multi for dogs? Any pros or cons on this subject would so be appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

By Judy from Collierville, TN

If you're happy with the heartworm preventative pills why consider changing? Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. I would stick with what I know works.

Stick with oral heartworm meds. If you want an oral solution to fleas and ticks, try a new product called Comfortis. My vet says it is made up from good bacteria that kills fleas, no insecticide! I can't stand putting that topical stuff on my dogs, they hate it!

My best friends dog got spinal cancer from monthly topical between the shoulders flea treatment. Do the dry 20 Mule Team in the house. Find something natural that works for your area for when they pick up fleas outdoors. Ticks? In the country? Nothing better than Guiney hens.

I used the topical drops for years on my dogs, and it usually worked for a while, then stopped. After about a week, they were covered again. I also have an Australian Shepherd Dog whose hair grows in patchy across his shoulders and hips where the drops would run down his skin. Now I only use Comfortis tabs from the vet. I had to use them monthly for about 6 months. Now I use them every other month.

Just don't try the over the counter flea meds. They made my cats very sick and I couldn't use the med from the vet until the other had run out of their system.