Removing Skunk Smell From A Dog

Help! We need a home recipe for skunk smell remover "without" hydrogen peroxide. We understand it would bleach our Irish Setter's coat. Thanks!

By Sandy from Cleveland, OH

Best Answer

When our Pekinese had its encounter with a skunk we used tomato juice and it worked pretty well. It didn't remove the smell completely, but it lowered the smell dramatically (you had to put your nose up beside him to smell it) and after two or three days it had no smell at all.

Best Answer

Beer helps the smell of skunk if tomato juice doesn't help.

Best Answer

Many years ago, my Alaskan malamute brought skunk spray into the house and I didn't realize it until she had rubbed it into the carpet. My (female) vet recommended a solution of douche concentrate & water - on the dog & on the carpet.

I will forever be grateful to her - it neutralized the odor on the dog, walls, wood cabinets, kitchen cabinets, carpet and all the cleaning rags!

I used Messingels douche liquid. Tomato juice did not work. The hardest part to get is their snout which absorbs the smell. It will take longer to get that part clean.

Mix bulk douche powder according to directions for skunk smell.

A tomato juice bath is the best advice I can offer. It's not an end all, cure all, in quick real time, but it does take out the most obnoxious stink and the rest will reduce over a few days time.

Use that and a daily changing/washing of the pet's bedding materials and the odor will be history, soon! Good luck!

Anonymous

Douche worked great on my chocolate lab. I bought them at the dollar store. Soaked him in it and then bathed him in dawn dish soap. Works every time.

Pets Dogs GroomingMarch 3, 2011
🍀
💘