AdviceFood Tips

Can I Replace Shortening With Cooking Oil?

Can I substitute cooking oil for shortening in oatmeal cookies?

By Nana from Rio Rancho, NM

No! No! No! No! No! When a recipe calls for shortening, it has to be the solid stuff. I made this mistake once and really had a mess. So definitely use shortening if that's what the recipe calls for.

Anonymous

Cookie dough made with cooking oil will usually be softer and spread out more in the oven than when made with shortening. You can replace the shortening with butter.

I am 68 with 5 children, plus grandkids, etc. I did my share of cooking and baking. I have heard you cannot substitute these items.

But sorry, if a recipe said butter, lard/shortening, oil, I used oil for them all and don't recall any problems in how things turned out.

My Aunt used to make the best mincemeat cookies I have ever eaten. Mine were never as good until my sister told me she used oil instead of the shortening called for in the recipe. The appearance was the same, but the taste o' so good! Now I use oil when making mincemeat cookies. Bet oatmeal cookies would be better too.

I have been cooking using the Flat Belly diet by the Prevention Mag. for about a year now. One of the recipes for pie crust uses canola oil instead of shortening.

Only difference I find is you need to mix it by hand not food processor (which i never did anyway) and it should come out fine. Not as tender and flaky but it is better for you.

I just made a banana cake and substituted 1/2 cup vegetable oil for 1/2 cup shortening. Plus I added 3 eggs instead of 2 to help keep the cake solid and it baked perfectly and is super moist. I think "Knitter" is experienced and on the mark when she says she's substituted oil for shortening in her cooking career.
Thanks "Knitter"

Ditto

Anonymous

In the place of cooking shortening can I use vegetable oil