Serving Dish As Bird Bath

I wanted a bird bath, but did not want something that my son would try to tip over. So I went to a discount store and found a large shallow glazed serving dish, the one I found happened to be in the shape of a yellow chick, but there were more traditional round or square ones. I put it in the garden right on the ground with some mulch around it to hold it in place, and filled it with water.

The birds love it and, during the recent drought we have had, I have seen my local family of bunnies coming in for a drink as well.

Total cost: about $3.50, much less than a designer birdbath. And the glazed surface makes it easy to keep clean! I actually just run it through the dishwasher about once a week.

By Regina from Rochester, NY

What a good and simple idea! I just made a birdbath out of a 4 foot high PVC pipe and a hub cap. I just used "Glue All" to put the hub cap on top of the pipe and stuck it in the ground. It worked.
Donita in Colorado

I love the idea, but, as I have three cats, I will need to put the bath some distance from the ground and not permanently fixed, so that I can clean it. Could anyone help me with an idea(s)?

Thank you!
Kind regards

Some really creative ideas here...lets combine the birdbath with Renee in Slatedale, PA's pond! (http://www.thri  8983434.tip.html) Can you imagine the beauty???

God Bless,
Sheila in Titusville, FL

Great ideas! Sure makes my terra cotta saucer look plain. Yet the birds don't seem to mind it...