ElectricalHome

Why do some light bulbs stick in the fixture?

Why do some light bulbs stick in the fixtures? I've noticed this mostly in my bathrooms, so I'm assuming it may have something to do with moisture causing rust. What can prevent this, once I get this bulb out, besides replacing the entire fixture? It still looks great for being 20 years old, is that old for a light fixture?

CarolinaGirl from SC

Hi , you can go to any hardware store and ask for a lubricant made especially for electrical contact. do not try to put it in the socket ,but put it on the contact areas of the replacement bulb. I wish I could remember what the lube is called ,but it should be easy to find. Even car part stores usually carry it ,but it cost more for less. JAN in NC

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly works well - just put a little on the metal part of the bulb and screw it in.

We use a light coat of WD 40 on the metal part of the bulb before we put it in. When a bulb has broken off in the socket, we have cut power to it and my husband gets it out with needle nose pliers.

Put vaseline only on the sides of the metal base. The bottom is used for an electrical contact and the jelly may interfere with that.

This happened to me too. In my bathroom the ceiling light blew out. so i went to change it and the whole glass part came loose leaving the metal part still stuck in the socket....How do i get the metal part out of the socket its been in there a week now because im afraid of getting shocked.

There are some devices at the hardware store that are designed to help remove broken bulbs. if you can't find one of those, take a potato and cut it in half, carefully push the potato into the broken bulb housing and unscrew. Make sure the switch is turned off and for extra safety, turn off the switch in the switch box that relates to the socket.

they stick because of the dissimilar metals on the base of the bulb and the socket

Anonymous

Dyelectric grease is what it's called