Removing Paint Transfer from a Car's Finish

Category Auto
When you are involved in a minor fender bender or collision with your garage, paint often transfers to your car's finish. This is a guide about removing paint transfer from a car's finish.

While I was pulling into my garage, I accidentally scraped the wall in my brand-new car. Now I have house paint and some scratches on my car. Any ideas of how to get it off? Thanks.

By Bita from Los Angeles

Answers

A good Automobile Cleaner-Polish may work [depending on how severe the issue], if that doesn't work, a Polishing Compound should do it easily. Just be careful. It doesn't take much effort. If you're too aggressive, you can go straight through the paint to the metal.

Talk to your dealer's body shop. There are different paints used and different ways to handle your problem. Some paints require a hardening time and you shouldn't use any polishes on them until after that time.

It may be a little embarrassing to ask but better that than ruining your finish.

Use gas and a soft cloth or paper towel. It works.

Just use regular cooking oil on a soft cloth,apply a little pressure. It should come right off & won't harm the manufacture's paint.

How do I remove paint from my white car without ruining the finish? One mark is from my children's swing (yellow) and the other one (black) from the garage door.

Thank you!
Carol from South Africa

Answers:

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge. It's awesome for removing just about anything without damage. (07/28/2006)

By Marianne Ashton

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge and it removed black permanent marker from my car and left no damage. Marker thanks to a 5-year-old. (07/28/2006)

By Linda

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

The least expensive and fastest way is to take the car to a body shop or a reconditioner (found in the yellow pages) and have them buff the marks out. Or if you wanted to try it yourself go to auto parts store and buy 3M Rubbing compound part number 05973.3M or Finesse-it 2 Finishing material, part number 05928.You will also need buffing pads and a machine buffer.That is why I think you should take it to a refinisher or a body shop. They have the materials and know how. (07/29/2006)

By Dean

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

A good quality cleaner/wax should work if it's just a paint transfer to the surface on your car. Make sure it's safe for clearcoat finishes. Note: this is NOT rubbing compound, if your car has a clear coat finish as most have these days, rubbing compound will remove that clear coat and you will have a "spot" that will become more noticeable over time. (07/29/2006)

By S Cronmiller

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

I had yellow paint scrape marks on my Acura blue paint finish. My husband carefully wiped Goof-Off on it and it came completely off. Do not rub in, carefully wipe off stain. (11/15/2007)

By Mary

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

I tried the Mister Clean Magic Eraser which did work. But be careful not to use too much elbow grease because when I used it to remove a bigger paint marking it messed up the car's clear coat a little. I don't know what is in that Magic Eraser that would cause that, but be careful.

Editor's Note: There is an abrasive in the Magic Erasers. They say not to use them on anything with a shiny finish. (07/04/2008)

By Brian

Removing Paint Marks From a Cars Finish

I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge on some white paint from a parking lot post. It worked perfectly. I kept it quite damp and used light pressure. The sponge package does recommend against this application, perhaps because overuse could do damage and they want to warn us. (09/13/2008)

By Marty