Back Child Support?

I received back SSDI from 3 yrs ago and will continue to get it for my child till age 18. What about my back child support from 3 yrs ago? Do I still get it? And does it continue until my child is 18?

By cherry

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks
November 22, 20100 found this helpful

Why wouldn't you still get it, the absent parent still is responsible for part of the support for a child.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 22, 20100 found this helpful

The people who can best answer your question is SSDI. Why not ask them?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 22, 20100 found this helpful

I still receive back paid child support. Although, if the other party has family issues you may see a decline in payments due to the fact that the payee is allowed to make special arrangements to fit his/her own lifestyle. Good luck with that. I have had no luck. My payee is negligent, and often makes special payment plans that leave me with no money for months at a time!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks
November 23, 20100 found this helpful

Go back to court and have the child support taken directly from the parent's paycheck. Some states put the person in jail if they don't pay. The reason some people don't get the money is because they do not take the appropreate avenues to get it. If you have an order of child support, call the state attorney general and ask how to enforce it. Son't stop until you get it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 23, 20100 found this helpful

Your state may have a Support Enforcement Unit, normally a division of Family Services. If you do not receive welfare, you may not be aware of them. I used to work for the Welfare Office in our state so I knew about our Support Enforcement Unit. They do try to help people who are not receiving child support, though their main focus is on families who are on welfare. However, they (along with the Social Security office) can set up a repayment option.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,394 Feedbacks
November 24, 20100 found this helpful

If your ex owes back child support and files taxes, you should get that money. If your ex is old enough to file for Social Security, they can garnish that. My husband still pays $51/month on a child support order he owed from about 20 years or more ago. That money comes out of his Social Security check. Hubby didn't file to receive support from the "mother" when he got custody. The "child" in question is 28, married and has three children of his own. Keep pushing until you get what you need to raise your child! Put the local Child Support Enforcement Agency's phone number on speed dial, if that's what it takes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 17, 20100 found this helpful

Just like JustPlainJo, I get back child support and my son just turned 30. When he started receiving Social Security (not sure if it was "disability" or not) we had his Social Security garnished. He pays $200 a month still and will be paid up in 2012. He was over $30,000 behind in payments. Do not feel guilty about getting any garnishment. I did without so my son would have what he needed as he was growing up, clothing, shoes, etc. We shopped at consignment shops, thrift stores and garage sales. I figure that the $200 per month is just paying me back for stuff I should have been able to buy for myself.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 22, 2010

If I am making back child support payments will my social security disability back pay be affected?

James from Dallas, Texas


Back Child Support


Why don't you contact the Social Security Administration by phone, they will be able to answer your questions. (10/19/2007)

By Marjorie

Back Child Support

If you stop making your child support payments, Social Security CAN BE garnished! (10/19/2007)

By Noella

Back Child Support

Your children should be getting their own SSDI until they are 18 or graduated! I'm really going to miss it when they go to college and still live with me! (10/19/2007)

By lindajean

Back Child Support

Yes it will be affected. And if you were to stop they will take your checks from you. Your child will receive a check from your back pay and from your regular checks once they start. (10/19/2007)

By melissa

Child Support

If someone is receiving SSI and he or she has a baby will the baby be able to receive benefits? (04/20/2010)

By Machelle Smith

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
In This Page
Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 22, 2010
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-08-23 07:12:15 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.