KitchenProduct Reviews

Microwave Convection Reviews

Our microwave died. I am thinking about replacing it with a microwave convection oven, but have read mixed reviews. Does anyone have any experiences with the microwave convection combo? I plan to use it for casseroles, smaller baked items, reheating, french fries and such. The toaster oven doesn't do justice to those items. Also I don't want to get stuck with another chore ie: another oven to clean. Microwaves are easy to clean, but what about the combos?

By Arlinn from NY

I bought a Kenmore Elite micro convection combo before Christmas. I have not used the combo of it but the microwave and convection oven works pretty well. However, due to a design flaw, I am unable to bake a 13 by 9 in. Cake or use a 12 count muffin tin in using convection as the screw heads inside the oven are right where the pan lips are which prevents the rotation process. The convection oven takes much less time to preheat than my regular oven.

Inside my microwave is stainless steel which isn' the easiest to clean.

Hope this helps.

I can't live without my Sharp microwave/convection oven. I use it more than my regular oven. My mom and sister have one, too. We love them. They are great for baking. It has a wonderful 'sensor reheat' feature. It has a sensor defrost feature that works like a charm. It will defrost all kinds of things (frozen hamburger, chicken pieces, steaks) without cooking the edges. The edges don't even get warm. You can partially bake and microwave potatoes at the same time and they come out perfect and take less time. I can't say enough about this appliance. If mine broke, I'd go out and get another one right away.

I have had for years a GE micro-convection oven. I love it. Just last year we remodeled our kitchen with all new appliances and still went with the newer model GE micro-convection. I put cookies, cakes, casseroles really anything you could put in the oven you can use in the convection. It is especially nice in the summer months because it is not hot like the oven is. Unless it is already programed in (look in manuel) you bake at 25% less. Like if a cake calls for 350 degrees, in the convection oven you put it at 325 degrees. The things you use in the convection still browns and is moist. I love it and since having one for over 17 years and I worked for Sears when I bought my first GE one it had a must larger insides and better features than any others. Good luck hope this helps.

*What size should I buy in order to use a 9 by 13 inch pan?
*Do the outer sides get very hot? Mine would go into a built in cubby shelf that is already part of our kitchen layout. Just wondering if that is a concern.
*Also how hard is it to clean?
Thank you all for your input.