MiscellaneousCleaning

Getting Odors Out Of Insulated Bags

I bought some chicken and put it in my insulated grocery bag to bring it home. I thought I had taken it all out, so I put a couple other of my insulated bags inside this one and put it out in my car for my next shopping trip. My car began to smell and when I looked in my bags I found I had forgotten a piece of chicken (it was wrapped individually). Now all 3 of my bags smell really bad.

I have tried washing them in the washing machine with vinegar, still smells, and now I am soaking them in the tub again with vinegar. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this smell? Or am I out of luck and should throw out the bags.

Mary from Arlington Heights

Take them and get the biggest ziploc you can, put them in there with cat litter and throw them in the freezer for the week end. The cat litter will soak up the smell, and the cold will kill any bacteria that exists.

Baking soda absolutely and if you don't use detergent, then use Vinegar. Use a liquid, scented fabric water or perfume in the rinse. Also a long hard soak like 8 to 12 hours w/ agitating in between.

INsulated grocery bags are cheap, and you could make your own out of bubble wrap. So go ahead, toss all those bacteria, and make or buy new.

Crumple up newspapers, and put them inside the bag and close it for a few days. This might work. Judy B. Williamsburg, On. Canada

If its vinyl try clorox wipes wipe inside down well with a couple leave them in the bag close let sit several hours and wipe out well with clean wet cloth should not only remove odors but kill bacteria Hope this helps.