Have Kids Cook Their Favorite Foods

Are you trying to get your kids to cook with you? To start out, have them make something they like and is easy to make, like grilled cheese, or soup. That way, they will start to see that even though it looks hard, it really isn't. And it's fun too when you are making something you really enjoy.

By Maggie from Macungie, PA

You brought back a sweet memory to me. I was babysitting 3 young children years ago. The 7-year-old little girl started to fry eggs on the top of the stove, all by herself. I knew she wasn't old enough to do this by herself, so I said to her, "Your professional chefs always are very careful about not getting burned while they're cooking. They always make sure that the handles are turned away from the edge of the stove, so their sleeves don't get caught." I could tell she felt very grown up that I had not yelled at her, but instead had compared her to professional chefs. She had a natural talent with food, and years later I heard that she was still cooking.