Growing Garlic in Pots

I planted four large garlic bulbs in pots in my greenhouse. Three bulbs have completely disappeared and there are no signs of mice or pests. Any suggestions?

By Maureen Barlow from UK

Maybe the bulbs were no good.

Growing garlic in containers is an excellent way of providing your kitchen with one the freshest, and most flavorsome of herbs, especially if you are a little short of space in the garden. Not only is garlic simple to grow, it has also been used throughout history for its medicinal value too.

The best time to plant garlic in containers is mid-October as the cold weather helps to initialize growth that will result in far larger bulbs and a greater number of cloves. Good luck.

I had the same thing happen. I planted cloves in a container, grew3-4 leaves/stems, but then saw mold. I thought I was overwatering, then the leaves turned yelllow and died.

I churned up the soil and found remnants of the skin of the original cloves that were planted but nothing else.