Growing Garlic

It is that time of year again here in Nova Scotia. I would like to plant some more garlic this fall for the spring season. Instead of putting them in the garden, could the bulbs be planted in an outdoor planter that is about 7 inches deep and still survive the winter up here?

By Elayne

Yes, according to all I've read. I'm in year two of growing it. I got my hard neck garlic growing in someone's yard in TN and I live in MD. It's not hard to grow, it's more when to plant. Check out the tips on Mother Earth News below. Just plant, cover with leaves and wait until spring. You don't want them growing now so wait until the first frost.

http://www.moth … wing-Garlic.aspx

I have been growing garlic in Oregon for several years now. I have just planted my cloves and they will come up in the spring.

I plant in raised beds and cover with leaves mixed with clean sawdust. They seem to like the environment.