Health and FitnessProduct Reviews

Budget Eyewear

Among the various healthcare savings tips, I did not see anything regarding eyeglasses.

My present glasses are titanium, and have lasted thus far through three sets of lenses. Thus, although fairly expensive, they were a bargain. They have *never* needed adjustment--they can be flexed out of shape and return to the right setting immediately.

However, five years ago I paid $200 on sale for the frames alone, plus nearly two hundred dollars more for progressive bifocals with scratch and UV coatings and the "thin" style plastic material in the lenses.

Recently, I was shown http://www.39dollarglasses.com/ They have a good selection of frames with standard single vision lenses (the thin kind, with the coatings listed above--usually the deluxe lenses in a retail store)...at $39 each.

They also have the glasses I paid over $400 for five years ago...for $138.

So...if you're not ready for Lasik or aren't a good candidate for eye surgery, this might be a worthwhile source for you.

Also, if you have in your area a school of optometry, you can often get your eyes checked and a prescription written very inexpensively. In many States, you can go to any optomitrist or opthalmologist for the exam and prescription while under no obligation at all to purchase their frames and lenses.

I hope you find this useful!