Problems Growing a New Sapling After Killing Sick Tree

About 3 years ago I dug out the roots of a sickly citrus tree in my backyard and used charcoal starter fluid to burn off the majority of the humongous roots underneath. I haven't had any success so far with any sapling I've planted in it. Did I ruin the soil for good? Sorry, I don't have a photo to share, but all that grows in it are some weeds and my freesias from last year.

By Renee

That Lighter Fluid contains Petrolium Distilates which will stay in the soil for quite a few years. Is there any way to dig that soil out of the spot? If not ,I would suggest finding another spot for your little saplings. Also you need to get some Rooting Compound, and use it. That will cause new roots to form on the sapling. It is a powder and can be purchased at any nursery, garden center, or department. Called Rooting Compound.

Also some Quick Set wouldn't hurt. That prevents any transplanting shock. Next time use Hot White Vinegar and some Salt to kill roots or weeds in your garden. Those don't stay in the dirt like that man made oil product does.