AdviceDogs

Attaching Wheels to a Dog Kennel

How can I attach wheels to an extra large wire dog kennel? It's too heavy to keep moving around. I am looking for a inexpensive way to do this, so I can move it around and clean under it. I am not as strong as I used to be. It stays in my bathroom, and I need to clean shedding hairs up all the time. Please help.

By Debbie

Can you attach the kennel to a mechanic's slide? You know one of those things that the mechanic lays on to slide under the car.

I don't know how to attach the wheels, but once you do get them attached, make sure there is a way to lock the wheels so that they don't roll when you don't want them too. This will save some disasters from happening!

Maybe instead of attaching wheels to the kennel just make a flat trolley -

wooden slats with 4 wheels & something to pull it along with. Maybe you know a retired handyman that can help..

See if you can obtain a used furniture dolley free or cheap through Freecycle or Craig's List. You can also order them from Harbor Freight. Then mount the crate to the dolley with clamps or nuts and bolts.

Just be sure that however you make it, you use the ball wheels so that it'll roll in any direction without a lot of trouble. I like the solution that Heather Diane suggested. A wooden platform with wheels attached to it, (and set the wire crate on it) would be the most economical way to go I'd think.

Good Luck with your project. I'd have trouble moving one of those things too, so I understand why you need a change.