Determining Fee for Making Couch Cushion Covers?

0
Share
4
Save
Follow
Print

I am sewing new cushion covers for a rather large couch. There are 16 cushions. This question is for any professional sewers out there. How much should I charge per cushion? A few are rather large. I am making all the piping and replacing all the zippers as well.

By Rose Smith from Malvern, PA

A while ago there was a post with a similar question of how much to charge for sewing. A general rule is to take the cost of all the supplies that have to be purchased for example: fabric, thread, zippers, piping, fuel for your vehicle. If it costs you $75.00, charge the customer $150.00. Take your cost and multiple by 2.
Make sure that you ask them for a deposit before you start the work.

Or if you're sewing for someone and the cost of supplies is very minimal, set a price and charge per hour.

I recently made 4 very large cushions for a friend's chairs - these cushions were actually the seat & back that went in a wooden frame. She paid me $100 - that did not include the fabric she had already bought. I was only going to charge her $80 ($20 per cushion), but she was very generous!

I think couch cushions should start at $25 or $30 each.

I pay to buy piping cord, $0.32 a metre so I would x by the metre @0.50 a metre. At the moment I am covering 6 cushions x 124 metres of piping. Then I charge for making the piping @ 0.20 per metre. Customer bought me the old cushions and fabric. The fabric was short by a metre for the piping cord. I had to go and buy 1 metre of fabric @$18.99 per metre to me. I have a roll of zipper tape that I use and charge a flat rate of $3 per metre and flat rate of $5 for thread which also covers electricity and wear and tear on my machines. Then I charge $20 per cushion to cover the cushion. It covers measuring, cutting out, marking and overlocking.

I also have to sew around each piece of fabric to stabilize so that the fabric does not unravel as the canvas is handled. All the inside of the cushion is overlocked. People who don't sew don't appreciate how much work and cost goes into completing the project. If they tell me they can get the job for cheaper, I suggest they take that option and pleased they have someone who caters for their price point and let them go. There is always an unknown cost or problem that needs to be worked out on 8 out 10 projects I do. I pick and choose the work I do, I don't allow a client to tell me my business terms. I have paid a lot of money and practised my craft for many years.

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 16, 2009
🌻
🎆
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf62467091.tip.html