Remedies for Chafing

Category Home Remedies
The redness and irritation of chafed skin is uncomfortable. This is a guide about remedies for chafing.

Use deodorant to keep from chafing. It works better than lotions because it takes longer to absorb.

Does anyone have any remedies for gaulding? I am a larger woman and I have it very bad under my belly and legs! Thank you in advance.

By Bon

Answers

I have a problem with this, too (although I did not know the name "gaulding"), and what works best for me is this - wash the area gently with soap and water, and dry thoroughly, then apply a thin layer of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. You can re-apply throughout the day as needed. This usually clears the problem up within a day or two. Good luck!

Use regular cornstarch from your kitchen. Since this is caused from sweating and staying moist, the cornstarch will keep it dry and heal it. Just put it on like you would talcum powder as often as needed. Good luck.

I've never heard of this term either. Use Goldbond medicated powder or any generic brand. Walmart makes one for about half the price a Goldbond.

Gaulding is caused by excssive sweating in a closed area where skin hits skin. (I get it too) I have found tht the best thing is to bathe the area with cool baking soda water. Dry by patting, not rubbing. While vasoline helps the friction you still sweat. I just use an anti-persperant stick. Like Degree or Secret. Hold area apart until dry, then use baby powder with cornstarch ( or just plain corn starch.)

MY dad used to suffer with this. We used cornstarch and it helped a lot. Cindy

The doctor suggested zinc ointment, because it dries.

There is a newer product out there that I have tried with great success. It's Lanacane - anti-chafing gel. After I shower I use my hair dryer to dry under the belly first - then I put it on. A little bit goes a long way so you don't use much. Good luck - I found it at my local grocery store but I'm sure Wal-mart would carry it also.

Been there and done that! If you get gaulded between your legs, panty hose will help, but under a skirt or pants, wear the stretchy lycra sports shorts for the best remedy. (I hope you can find them nowadays). And the powder and cornstarch I've tried, but you'll have to carry it with you all the time. Use it under your belly every time you go to the bathroom.

Careful you don't get it on your outer clothes to give you away! In this heat, even people not overweight can have a need for it. Also the tip of antiperspirant is a good one. Use it also on your feet if your feet sweat and smell, as mine used to. That helps a lot. Under your arms? Antiperspirant and powder again. I know what you're going through.

Does anyone know of inexpensive and preferably natural solutions to adult thigh chafing, other than baby and corn powders? Summer's humidity is fast approaching and I'd like to enjoy wearing dresses, without the inevitable and painful chafing.

By ChllyWlly from PA

Answers

Hi Chlly Wlly,
I don't know how old you are, but when I was young we had petty pants (also called pettipants). With the silky (nylon???) material between the thighs, it seems to me it would be the perfect answer to keep from chafing. I looked on the internet and found that petty pants still exist. Here's a site and the petty pants are close to the bottom: http://www.etre … ies_Slips_8.html There are other sites, too....just key in "pettipants" or "petty pants". I hope this helps.

I remember pettipants, too, but I never had any. Didn't need them back then, however, now I would definitely need them, but my lower legs are so discolored from having had sever swelling of them that I keep my legs covered.

http://www.natu … dies_chafing.htm A lot of info there, good luck.

Wow - thanks for all your replies! I'll look into the pettipants (but am not too thrilled wearing nylon).
I was hoping for something that can also be applied under the breasts as well (but thought that might be too much information in my original posting - LOL!)

I tried the link posted by kffrmw88, but for some reason an error comes up when I click on it. Thanks again!

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Try that link on kffrmw88's post again. It's fixed.

Monistat "Soothing Care Medicated Powder" is the best thing I have ever used for chafing. As a plus-size woman, I deal with this every day. If I use this powder faithfully, I have no problem. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny! I buy it at Wal-Mart, so that makes it a little more affordable. Give it a try.

Depending on the day, I use either talc, a generic brand of Desitin, the creamy type, not the old fashioned heavy type. Sometimes I use an anti-fungal cream, because I have been told that the rash I get under my breast is like a yeast infection and was told to use that. I am overweight and diabetic, and I have been told that diabetics are apt to get these yeast infections under their breasts. I don't know how true this is, but a person can get a dozen different answers to one question.

Try putting antiperspirant on your thighs and under your breasts as well as under your arms. Using antiperspirant ends the sweating. No sweat, no chafe. I carry a travel size in my purse in case it needs renewing. I am over weight, and used to have a real problem with chafing until I tried this.

Well... I would suggest talc. I have a product called "Anti Monkey Butt" powder. It's name sounds real funny but it works! It is a bit on the expensive side but you don't have to use very much. It's main ingredient is talc.

I even went camping one time for 2 days with no shower and it still kept me dry. It's good stuff.

I have similar problems, and my solution is foolproof. I make, (or you could have someone make), very cool, thin cotton "split skirt" type garments. I used a pair of shorts for my first pattern, and flared it slightly, lengthened enough to make it comfortable but not show below hem. Bet you will be happy.

The best in the world for chafing, plain old ordinary CORN STARCH. I used very expensive Shea Butter for years, when I realized that I would not be able to afford it any longer I got my grandmothers' old idea of the Corn Starch.
I put a cup in a container with a very small powder puff and place under the breast and thighs. What a relief and no more expensive lotions. You'll be happy with it in the summer keeps you cooler also.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I figured powders would be too messy, but it looks like it might be the way to go after all. I'll be looking into the other ideas as well. You ladies are the best! I knew I could count on you to help me out! Thanks again!

Hi there ladies (and any gents). Just wanted to update you on what I found that seems to be working VERY well - Monistat Soothing Care Cream (not the powder). I tried talc, cornstarch, and just about any other suggestion that came my way. Unfortunately, I had too hard a time finding pettipants in my size & that were cotton. Anyway, I can use it wherever I had - or anticipated - chaffing & it works great! Thanks again to everyone who came up with all those wonderful solutions!! I knew I could count on you all to steer me in the right direction!

My husband works out in the sun all day. He gets really bad chafing so that he can't walk that good. He used cornstarch and Monkey Butt powder and it works for a little bit then it comes back really bad. I'm trying to find out what I can use.

By Paula

I have had, for a couple of days, a chafed feeling on my upper right thigh near the groin area and a little bit on the buttocks. There is no rash, no bumps or lumps, just the feeling of chafed skin. What could it be and can anyone recommend a treatment? Thanks.