TipsFrugal Living

Save Cherry Pits for Heating Pads

I save cherry pits to make my own heating pad. I wash the pits and dry them thoroughly. Either put the washed pits outside in the hot sun or heat them in an 250 degree F oven for one half hour or until thoroughly dried. When dried, I put them in a cotton tube sock and tightly tie with a cotton string or you can sew it shut.

I usually lightly spray water on any microwave heating pad before heating. Place in the microwave for three minutes or until heated. Do not over heat. This time can vary according to the size of the heating pad or the microwave. The cherry pits seem to hold the heat longer than other methods that I tried.

The size of the heating pad can vary. I like to have different sizes for different aches and pains. It is advisable to use all natural materials like cotton since these are less likely to melt/burn when heated.

Source: I came up with this idea from visiting a farm tour. During the colonial days, cherry pits were saved and heated in small metal pans and then added to a bed warmer to keep the beds warm during the cold months.

By it's.only.me from NE PA

That is a good use for cherry pits but if you don't have a cherry tree you can use raw rice or dried beans to fill a heating pad.