Tire Rubber Smell on Clothing

My husband builds tires for a living and getting the sweat and rubber smell out of his clothes is a nightmare. I have used tide, borax, washing soda, vinegar, baking soda... the only thing I have found to help a little, is an entire cup of arm & hammer detergent washed on the hottest setting, and sometimes this takes a couple of washings. Surely there has to be a better way of getting the smells out?

Halloweenfreak from Oklahoma

More than twenty years ago, both my brothers were tire builders. I remember my Mom would use Lesitoil. I don't know if she soaked them in it or put it in the washer along with the detergent.

Some of the dry cleaners will run work clothes like that through the old cleaning solution before they dispose of it. My son was the tar boy at a roofing company and they did this for cheap.

Have you tried Febreze Laundry additive? My husband works at a seafood plant and comes home smelling mighty stinky! It works wonderfully.

never heard of lesitoil, what is that? and i didn't know febreze made a laundry additive. but im willing to try anything at this point. even if it smells "mostly" clean coming out of the laundry, the smell returns after it dries.

The company I represent carries Dryer Sachets. Toss one of these muslin dryer sachets into the dryer with your laundry and enjoy the wonderful fragrance while you're folding the laundry. The scent will be waiting for you when you use the linens days later! Sachets last approximately 10-15 loads. While these sachets are available in the fragrance of your choice, I would recommend the Smoke & Odor Eliminating fragrance. Its good about eliminating tough odors. If you would be interested in sampling 1, email me at: forgetmenotaromas@gmail.com. I'd be more than happy to send you 1 for sampling.

Marla

Forget-Me-Not Aromas (http://www.forgetmenotaromas.com) - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions.

I love the smell of tires and just plain rubber in general.