LaundryCleaning

Removing Fabric Softener Spot from Sweater

I got some fabric softener on a sweater. It went through the wash and dry cycle before I noticed it. It has left a big spot --- does anyone have ideas on how to get the spot off the sweater? Fabric content of sweater is silk / cotton blend.

Thank you,
Rama in Florida

By Starlight (Guest Post)

I have done this but on tshirts - I used a product called Zout Stain remover (Walmart has it) - and spray the spot and re-wash it. I've done it to sweatshirts too and some have had to be sprayed and rewashed as much as 4 times before the spots were gone, but it did work. Don't know if this would work on your sweater but thought I'd pass it along.

By Connie in Colorado (Guest Post)

Because your stain is an oil/grease type of stain, I recommend trying K2R spot lifter. It is fabulous at taking care of that type of stain and won't hurt your fabric. I've been using it for 30 years, and my mother used it for years before that. Good luck!

By Lisa, Brainerd MN (Guest Post)

I have had good luck with treating this stain with dawn dishsoap. I put dawn directly on the spot and then launder as usual.

How do I get blue fabric softener stains out of a yellow sweater? I tried vinegar, Dove soap, bathroom cleaners, and washing it in hot water. I have not let it dry yet or it may be even more difficult to get out. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a million.

By Judy

Answers

Make a paste of hydrogen peroxide & baking soda. Brush on well with an old toothbrush ~ continue to work it in gently & then let it sit. Since it's not chlorine bleach, overnight won't hurt. While you may not see results from the brushing, it should be gone after the next laundering. This saved a cotton shirt from spaghetti sauce & a white cotton sweater from red wine.

Amway has a product that will remove dye that has transferred to another garment, as long as you have kept it wet. I cannot remember which product it is but an Amway distributor should be able to tell you. It really works.