AdviceBudget & Finance

Reasons To Save Your Receipts

I have started saving my receipts for 3 reasons:

1. Once while using my debit card, and another time when I wrote a check, more than the right amount was taken out of my checking account. I had the original receipt for each and the bank was able to adjust my account.
  2. Ad

3. For returns or for possible tax information
  4. For coupons on the back of the receipt. My last trip to Price Chopper I received a coupon for $8 off my next oil change (which I will use during their early bird special and get my oil change for only $7), and buy one eat one free at CC pizza, which is were our church youth kids eat at least once a month, and a free hair cut from Fantastic Sams.

After 3 months, I go through my receipts and get rid of what I can, but save those which I may need. I put each month in a separate business sized envelope and those then go into my tax book.

My tax book is a 3 ring notebook with plastic protector sheets. I put all tax information in that book and then just use that book at tax time. It is divided by sections--farm expenses, rental units, donations, church, stocks, w2's.

Source: Years of doing it wrong taught me to do it right!

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri