Cleaning Cat Spray

Category Pet Stains
The odor of cat spray can be tough to get rid of. Properly removing the odor can also help prevent recurrences. This is a guide about cleaning cat spray.

I have three male cats. They have sprayed different areas in my home. It smells! How can I find the right area? I want to clean it well! I just cannot see exactly where. Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

You have to break up the urea crystals. An excellent product is Nature's Miracle, made by Amazon. You need to saturate the area. It can take up to two weeks to break up the crystals. After two weeks, if it still smells, you missed a spot, and must apply again.

Best Answer

I had this problem before. Wash your carpet, if you have one, and all your walls with a vinegar and water solution.

Then spray with Febreeze, the one for animal smells. Works really well to take the odor away.

My cat is spraying on my front porch and along the side of the house. (I think to mark their territory) and the smell is making me sick. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of this smell?

Answers

Vinegar should help. Use it half and half with water and spray it on the area.

By Susan (Guest Post)

Try using a bleach and water solution 50%/50%. Let it dry. It seems to be the only thing to kill the bacteria of the acids. I had an issue with that years ago and after removing the carpet the odor remained in the wood floor. Bleach and water did the trick. If odor remains try a stronger mixure of bleach and water.

Good luck!

By Burnt toast (Guest Post)

You may want to try straight peroxide, I did this with accidents on the rug, it didn't harm anything.

Cat also got closed in the car overnight and pee'd on the cloth seat. I did the same , soaked it with straight peroxide. I would suggest you spot check it first though.

Maybe you could use a spray bottle, just spray on and leave it , don't wipe it.

Baking soda should neutralize the odor as well. Mix with water. Use a sponge to wash down the porch. There are products you can buy that are supposed to keep animals away from areas where you don't want them to be.

One is called Indoor No and I think another one is Scat!

When a cat starts spraying you have a problem as they usually continue to do so. About the only remedy I have heard of is to have the cat neutered.

I posted information about this product regarding another question, but I think this would work for you. I am an Independent Watkins Associate, and we carry a product called Odor Zap. It's a heavy-duty odor neutralizer. It's biodegradable, non-toxic, non-corrosive, hypoallergenic, and non-staining. It's 100% safe for people, pets, and the environment. It may be used on all household odors like smoke, mildew, paint fumes, and waste matter (which I think cat pee qualifies as - ha!) It's great to use in mopping solutions, carpet cleaners, or humidifiers and may even be used on sports equipment, shoes, and wet dogs.

If you would like me to send you a catalog so you can look at the product, just e-mail me and I can send you one. Good luck. I know that smell can really be strong!

Trudy
trudypowell @ sbcglobal.net (remove spaces)
http://www.mo3bk.com

By Shelley (Guest Post)

I have 4 cats and two of them are constantly peeing on stuff. The only thing I have ever had work is Oxi Clean. (It works great on carpets.) You can use it if your porch or siding is unfinished wood, fiberglass, or metals. But if it consists of Painted/finished wood it can't be used. Good luck.

By Chris (Guest Post)

I go to K-mart and get the gallon jug of Pet Out. It works wonderfully. I have a dog and cat and sometimes they have accidents and this takes the smell out and any stains left behind. I hope this helps.

Chris

By Carrie Bridges (Guest Post)

I used to work for a vet and we always had animals peeing on the sidewalk and the building. We used the bleach and water solution and also scrubbed with a brush or broom with hard bristles. It did the trick everytime. Good Luck!

By Chris (Guest Post)

I actually read somewhere that cats are attracted to bleach so I ha ve stopped using it. I use a vinegar and water mixture with a touch of listerine.

If you really want to get rid of the spray odor, Get some OdorXit Concentrate and spray it (diluted 1 part concentrate 20 to 30 parts water on the contaminated areas after washing and rinsing the areas with TSP or Simple Green or Dawn. Vertical surfaces often will take more that one treatment and a 15 to 1 solution.

By Andy (Guest Post)

FYI:
The smell may not be from your cat. Obviously if you've SEEN him spray, you don't need to read the rest, but here's an idea:
Another possible source of the smell could be your shrubs. If you have planted boxwoods around your porch, which many of us have, you should know that these shrubs have a very strong odor that is similar to cat urine.

By Sharon L Martin Canada (Guest Post)

Spray vinegar on the area . I keep a spray bottle on my deck all the time to spray door and side of house. It works!!!!!!

By no name (Guest Post)

I just got rid of the same problem yesterday. scrub with a hard bristle brush and a bucket of ammonia and water. let it air dry a bit and get some moth balls, crush them in a bag and sprinkle in the area. don't use more than one box of moth balls in one small area or your house will have a strong smell of moth balls like i did. it worked though. just wont use as many (2 boxes) next time...well hopefully there won't be a next time

By emch (Guest Post)

I have a neighbor cat that uses my front yard close to the door as a potty area. How can I stop this cat from using my yard?

How do you remove cat spray odor from sneakers?

By Carol Smythe from Grahamsville, NY

Answers

Leather or fabric, the sneakers are unwearable as is. Mine are leather. Wash in the washing machine with an old towel or two, using hot water, a tablespoon of detergent, and a cup of white vinegar. Run one entire cycle. Put wet sneakers in the sun to dry. If necessary, repeat. It took doing twice, but now mine don't smell anymore.

If it's inside the shoe, try sprinkling baking soda and leaving for a day or two to absorb the odor. If on the outside leather of the shoe, try vinegar and water.

Product called Kids N Pets sold at WalMart (at least this is where I buy it.) It works, I got cat urine out of my leather sofa, my beautiful mauve carpet and it works great on a mattress. This stuff is always in my house between two geriatric pets I have. That if one is not having an accident the other is. :)

We went on holiday, putting our cat in the cattery but forgetting to lock the cat flap. A tom cat has been in the living room and sprayed it. Yuck! We've had some success with warm water and white vinegar, but does anyone have any other ideas, please? We'd be very grateful.

By Susan Southern

A cat has gotten under my house and sprayed. I don't have a cat.
The odor is awful in my kitchen and living room. How do I get rid
of the smell?

Answers

Pour some bleach or "Real Lemon" on the area to kill the odor........and sprinkle ground black or cayan pepper to help keep the cats away.

By Meaghan (Guest Post)

You might not want to mix bleach with cat urine - urine contains ammonia, and bleach + ammonia = chloramine/chlorine gas. Not fun.

What is the best solution for cat spray odor in carpet?

By CP

I have stray cats that visit my yard. They have gotten into my garden shed and sprayed on just about everything. Any suggestions how I can remove the odor?
Thank you.

My 8 month old neutered cat just sprayed all over his own underbelly, tail, and the wooden porch in response to the presence of a tom cat! He is usually just inside and wants in, but there is no way at this point. He is smelly and you can smell it in the kitchen as the door comes into the kitchen area. He is very fiesty and it will be dangerious to try and bathe him. Any ideas?

By Colleen

I created a very comfortable and warm shelter for my 3 ferals. They lived there for almost 3 years. Last winter, another feral from the neighborhood tried to seek shelter there and there was a fight, the feral sprayed in the houses and my ferals sought out new shelter. I've tried cleaning the houses and surrounding areas with a solution I found online called "Anti-ikky poo", I sprayed the houses thoroughly, changed the straw, cleaned the heated beds, and changed the vinyl flap doors, all to no avail. They still won't go in there! I have to do something for them before the winter, but don't know if I should buy new houses, or relocate my existing ones. I don't know how to resolve this problem. What should I do?

By Alexandra

My cat has sprayed my computer bag that was by the front door. How do I remove the smell?

By D. Jeanette

I have a female cat and a male dog and had recently signed up to watch my sister's cat for a week. I have since found out that she had never gotten him neutered, so with that being said in the course of a few days her cat has covered my place with his spray which is a very acidic odor.

I have no idea where he had sprayed or how may times, but I'm desperate to get that smell out. So my question today would have to be, which is the best way to deodorize my place and free myself from the strong scent of cat spray?

By Britney from Edmonton, AB

How can I get old cat spray out of my rug? It's a big rug for the middle of the floor.

By Linda

What can I use to remove cat spray from vinyl siding? What can I do to have it not happen again?

By PGH

My cat sprayed my hair last night while I slept. I see solutions for everything but this. And yes I know, he needs to be neutered, he has an appointment next week already.

By Nelwyn

A stray tom cat got into our house and marked it with cat spray. How do I rid my carpets of the odor?

By cork

How do I remove the smell from cat spray on an Xbox 360? I've been rubbing it with multi action cleaner for about an hour, but with no result.

By D. Jones

How do I remove cat spray from clothing?

By Grace D. from Picayune, MS

My young male cat has obviously used this area before and I just found where. I was wondering what kind of solution is there for wooden floors? Any advice will help and I'd be very appreciative! Thank you!

By S.C

How do I remove cat spray odor from papers?

By Joyce F

HELP ME PLEASE. I just discovered that a neighborhood cat has been spraying in my cellar window onto my carpet. OMG, the smell is enough to gag you. What can I do to get the pee out of the carpet? I have closed the window, so he won't be able to continue to do it. Any help you can give me I thank you for already.

Help me please. I just discovered that a neighborhood cat has been spraying in my cellar window onto my carpet. The smell is enough to gag you. What can I do to get the pee out of the carpet? I have closed the window, so he won't be able to continue to do it. Any help you can give me I thank you for already.

What can I use to get the smell of cat spray out of my house? And how do I find where it is?

By alicia from Arlington, TX

Answers:

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

PetCo carries a product called Natures Miracle, white bottle, red letters. This is only thing I have ever used that thoroughly gets rid of the smell. (04/14/2010)

By Keep Stitchin'

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Keep Stitchen' is right. Natures Miracle is a great product. Remember it takes awhile to dry and the odor is only gone when the product is dry. It can take a couple days to dry. I get my daughter who has a better nose than I do to find accidents for me. Good luck! (04/14/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

I once took in a stray, un-neutered male cat, and he peed and sprayed on the carpet in my living room, my bedroom, and the den. "Sigh". It was so awful, I couldn't go in there. A friend of mine recommended Emro Odor Eliminator. You can order it online. I ordered a large quantity of it, and poured it directly on the the areas the cat sprayed. The odor was completely gone within minutes! Google Emro Odor Eliminator, it works great. (04/15/2010)

By Vicki Hale

A feral male cat entered my house and has sprayed everywhere. I tried to eliminate the odor with a pet odor removal product today and it did not help. This happened today and I can't see where he has sprayed.

Clare from Cameron, OK

Answers:

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

I have six indoor cats so I know about this problem. If the urine is in the carpet, I use white vinegar in my carpet steam machine. It takes it right out and the smell is gone.

If the cat sprayed on a wall, then use straight peroxide. Leave it on for a few seconds and then wipe. Continue to do this until the smell is gone.

If perhaps you see a cat pee, use baking soda, pour it on the pee and it will absorb it. Wait a few seconds and then pour peroxide on the spot. It will suds up. Wipe and use more if needed. (02/19/2009)

By Tammy

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Cheap vodka in a spray bottle works like a charm. Blot up as much as you can then saturate the area with the vodka and let it dry. It might take a couple doses but I guarantee it will work. Then if you get a whiff after a few weeks/months, douse it again. (02/19/2009)

By Beth

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

You can get a black light bulb from Walmart or your grocery store. Put it in a small (or at least portable) lamp and shine it in the room where the cat has sprayed. You'll be able to tell where. I use something called Natural Formula (or something like that) from the pet store. It's an enzyme cleanser. Doesn't work great, but helps. (02/19/2009)

By susan winship

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

There is a product that is not expensive and works called Puddle Out. The pet shelters here in Ohio use it and advise its use as a cleaner and deodorizer; you can order it through an ebay store called youronlineauctionplace.com or go to the website for Puddle Out directly (happycatsolutions.com). Good luck, cat pee smells terrible. (03/16/2009)

By melissa swartz

Load More