AdviceOrganizing

Getting Rid of Unwanted Items When You Live In An Apartment

Could you please share tips on how to sell items you no longer need when you live in an apartment building? Since we can not have a yard sale, I do not know how to (items are diverse small big). Thanks a lot!

NNN from Baltimore, MD

for an effective (depending on the sites poularity in your area) free classified
check out www.craigslist.org go to the local MD site, there will be a place to post all you want for free. I have sold lots of stuff this way

How about e-bay, or free cycle? One to sell, the other to barter.

Do you have car-boot sales in your area? These are a great way to get rid of unwanted household items & to sell crafts. There's usually only a small fee per stall.

When my aunt died, the relatives there set things out in the commons area of her apartment house for a small cost or give away. They didn't have to haul anything away!! Worked great!!

I like taking things to a local flea market, mine is outside, on a pretty day, and the set up fee is not bad at all. I know there are some flea markets inside too. But, the fee is higher. I've noticed small items are very popular with the shoppers. Also group price things, that is popular also. I know some folks use ebay. Also, is it possible to "share" a yardsale with a friend or relative at their place?

Check with your local thrift stores. Tell them you are giving them away to them and don't expect any money back from their sales. I'll bet you will get rid of a ton of stuff that way. I live in a very small town and we can put things on the boulevards. Since the boulevard is owned by the city, anything sitting on it is up for grabs for anyone who wants to haul it away. Good luck to you.

Just a comment on MamaJude's post. While giving your stuff to thrift stores won't get you any money up front, you may be able to take it as a tax deduction if you itemize on your return. Just make sure you keep a list of all the items you give (25 women's blouses, 14 glass vases, etc.), and make an estimate of how much each item would be worth in the resale market (usually about half to 1/3 of the retail cost).

The advantage of thrift stores is that you don't have to take the time to haul, set up, monitor, and take down all the unsold things like you would if you were doing a garage sale. Your time is worth money too!

Good luck!

Check to see if there is a local "buy sell trade" group in your area, it is on the internet like freecycle but you can ask for money. I have sold some items that were "too good to just give away" on there.

If the items are in good shape I would do Ebay!! Just be sure to "tell a story" of the item----sells better when you really have a good describtion and Pictures!!!!!!!

Get in on a house-dwelling friend's yard sale.

Here's the way I've successfully kept clutter at bay in my small apartment for the last 3 years. I bring my stuff to a multi-family yard sale twice a year, hosted by a home-owning friend in a nearby neighborhood. Her sale can be seen from the busy intersection nearby, so we don't even need to advertise. We haul stuff over the night before, get up early to help each other set up (and keep the early birds at bay), and help each other get the leftovers to Salvation Army or Goodwill at the end of the day.

CF (guest)
"People will buy ANYTHING a yard sale!"

if you would like to just give them away check out freecycle.org they are a great site i use it all of the time