SofasFurniture

Removing the Color from Sofa Covers to Make Them White

Category Sofas

I have cotton, mustard color sofa covers. I want to bleach them white, but the label says no bleach. I tried it anyway and the color remained the same. Can you help me to get them white please?

By Una from Victoria, BC

Could you dye them white?

I doubt very much you can get the dye out, dyes are permanent and stay in fabrics. If it's a nylon, rayon etc. they are plastics basically, and are made with the colors pigmented into them before they are woven. Sorry.

Anonymous

Ditto with Yodder! And if bleach didn't remove any color then nothing will and you're lucky using the bleach didn't disintegrate the fabric! The only thing I can suggest is white fabric paint but that will be expensive for that much fabric and I don't know how well it will hold up on sofa covering.

I agree with the others. If bleach didn't take the color out, you have wonderfully colorfast sofa colors. If you want white ones, you are going to have to buy new ones.

Chiming in with everyone else here, it really sounds like you're going to have to buy a new set of white.

As a last-chance effort, though, and if you don't care at this point if the process may ruin them, you might soak them in a stronger bleach solution for a longer period of time and hang them out in the sun to dry. With this you risk blotchiness and them being unusable; also, you have to consider that when a manufacturer states "no bleach" it may also be that the material the item's made from will interact negatively with bleach.

By that I mean fumes or a chemical reaction, not just uneven color at the end of your experiment.

Really, for aggravation (and safety's) sake, I think I'd pass the slipcovers along to someone who might be able to use them and get different ones.