BirdsPest Control

How Do I Get Rid of Blue Jays?

Category Birds

I have this blue jay that sits by a window of my house and pecks at it. Sometimes it starts pecking around five in the morning. It's always waking me up and it continues to peck throughout the day. I use to have mourning doves that had nests by my front door that have been scared off along with sparrows and other birds because of the Blue Jay. Now there are atleast three birds taking up a home around my house. Someone help me get rid of these birds.

Andrew of San Diego

Try spraying WD40 around the area. It works for pigeons here in Australia.

Invite the New York Yankees to your house. Blue Jays usually lose the battle when they are in town

I'm having the same issue except I have 10-12 Blue Jays and they're tearing up my flower baskets and they are just loud and obnoxious and have chased away all my other birds Eastern Towhee and Hermit Thrush among others...all the really cool songbirds that I enjoy. I don't have ANY feeders out and never have. I read another article that informed me that they don't always migrate so we may be stuck with the jerk birds until they have nothing else to eat. It also said Blue Jays love acorns and I'm surrounded by pines....I don't understand why they're here...I haven't seen Blue Jays here since we've moved in 5 years ago. Now I have a dozen of them...

I put a 2' plastic horned owl in the crook of the tree right next to our deck where they insisted on building a nest. They were not happy. But it didnt keep them from having "parties" at the dog's dish.

For that, I got another 2' plastic owl with a swiveling head. I mounted him to a board & once a week I move him to a different spot around the yard. It took 3 days to get them to vacate the premises.

WHere do you get a plastic owl? Sounds terrific!

I had some pesky Blue Jays try to rebuild a nest on my fire escape, right under the last steel step. What finally worked were CDs and an electronic bird chaser. The CDs were tied with string to the underside of the step. If they didn't scare them the motion knocked into them. The bird chaser is a compact unit that can operate on batteries and could be mounted with adhesive to my ourside window sill. (The motion detector cannot operate through a solid object like a closed window pane.) Since this is an apartment building the chaser had to be researched and set to its least sensitive level so as not to send every dog in the building into a howl of agony.

I suggest outer sun screens. I have some that are a light tan color from the hardware store. You can buy a roll of screen and frame lengths with rubber insert rope and a roller tool to make your own of any size.

Not sure if framing came with the corners it snaps together with. Looks nice, and keeps the house cooler in the summer too!

I shoot bottle rockets in the trees. NOT AT THE BIRDS. Then they leave.

There's a nest just a side my bathroom window with a family of blue jays they never they weren't a problem until today I went to my shed to grab my bike was walking back up and they started attacking me now I just go to the window and they're scooping in towards the windows and the one even when I was went to the washroom came up and was hanging off the screen what do I do

Oh are blue jays mean...they were nested in a dense bush near my front door a few years ago and tried several times to attack my dog and me when we were on our morning outside puppy pit stop. Very scary.

The short term solution was to go out the back door and avoid the site...but that didn't help the mailman and others who use the area near the nest....just had to warn everyone to be careful.

My proactive solution after the experience was...after the babies were gone from the nest...tying CDs (compact disks) to strings and hanging them from the branches.

When they reflect in the sun, the birds avoid it. It works! They look terrible hanging from the bush in the front yard...so I am working on a prettier way...just haven't come up with a good one yet. There are some ideas on Pinterest, but they look too complicated!

This is my favorite www.pinterest.com/.../

Followed closely by this one www.pinterest.com/.../

If I come up with my own version, I will post it!

What about the other birds....the cardinals and the groesbecks. And the finches and sparrows....

How do we get rid of blue jays?

By bryantvbryant

Answers

You could try hanging old CD disks in the trees and bushes where they like to roost. The glitter should frighten them away. We don't even try to get rid of ours as having Blue Jays is better than having Mocking Birds. At least the Jays are quiet all night.

CD's in trees are a waste of time for jays. They figure out very quickly that it isn't a threat, and they go on about their business.

Anonymous

I would much rather have mocking birds to blue jays. They are so obnoxious I just want to shoot them.

If I scare the jays, the other birds will leave too. This has been going on for years...

I have this blue jay that sits by a window of my house and pecks at it. Sometimes it starts pecking around five in the morning. It's always waking me up and it continues to peck throughout the day. I use to have mourning doves that had nests by my front door that have been scared off along with sparrows and other birds because of the blue Jay.

Now there are at least three birds taking up a home around my house. Someone help me get rid of these birds.

Andrew of San Diego

Answers:

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

They are probably seeing and pecking at their reflection in the window. I am just not sure how to eliminate that. Perhaps if you hung a picture of a predator of some kind (a cat, for instance) facing the outside, it would keep them at bay.
(06/19/2005)

By Harlean

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I had a red bird that beat itself repeatedly against some of my windows. I went to Walmart (you might also try the dollar store) and bought some rubber snakes. It worked well, then the redbird moved to another window. For awhile, I had snakes at about 8 windows at my house, but it kept him away and now he is gone for good. I also have used the the snakes to keep crows away from my dog's food. If you want to get fancier, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase an owl. (06/19/2005)

By Barbara

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

You can do what I do. Get peanuts (Costco/Sams Club) and sunflower seeds. Set up a feeding station away from your bedroom windows. If you don't want them around at all, leave a few peanuts out on the ground leading farther away from your house each day. Pretty soon they will forget your place and move on. (06/20/2005)

By Vi Johnson

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Apparently if you use old CDs hung on fishing line, the bright reflection will help scare off birds. Try either that, or some other item that will sparkle in the sun. The more it moves in the wind, the better! (06/26/2005)

By Cathy

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I agree about the reflection; he probably thinks it's another bird and is "fighting" over his territory. You can find something to put over the window on the inside or the outside so that he can't see his reflection. A bunch of blue jays let me know there was a snake in my oak tree yesterday! They chased him away. (07/07/2005)

By guest

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I printed pictures of cats from the internet and hung them in my window. Blue jay gone!

Thank you. (04/14/2006)

By Isaac

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I read as a last resort to get an owl. So we hung up a lightweight, full-size, plastic owl from the lower branch of our willow tree. The jays were hanging out there and attacking my cats. Within 3 days the blue jays were gone. They don't like owls, not even plastic ones. My cats are safe again. (06/22/2007)

By Sheila D

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I started feeding the blue jays peanuts a year ago and have not had a problem. They eat with the squirrels and other birds without any problems. Guess I'm lucky! (01/26/2008)

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Use the same people that I used to get rid of my crow problem. Their name is Crow be Gone or do a google search "get rid of crows". They're the best. (06/21/2008)

By Jill

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Eventually the bluejays will not be loud once they are established in your yard, You want bluejays at your feeders because they will chase off hawks that prey on your songbirds. Bluejays as well as all other songbirds do not start chirping at 5:00 in the morning, this is misleading information which makes me to question your credibility on this post. You hear wildbirds at 6:30am in the summer and until around 7:30-8:00 in the evening. During winter, around 7:30 am and until 5:30pm. I have been a avid birdfeeder for almost 2 years now. I document the time changes that occurs.

Bluejays will mob owls and hawks during the day, wildbirds have specific times they eat during the day, don't worry, the songbirds will eat with the protection of bluejays watching for predators. Bluejays have sentries (lookouts). I don't have a problem with bluejays either, they all forage with the squirrels and other songbirds as well as with the crows. The bluejays do good for the other birds at feeders.

Some of you need to seriously do extensive research before you post about something that you know nothing about instead of posting misleading information. Bluejays do not go around killing songbirds on a daily basis. Yes, they may occasionally eat a egg or two that has fallen from a nest or even a fledgling, but so will snakes, opossums, skunks, flying squirrels, and crows. This is how God created it to be to keep populations of wildlife in control. This only occurs during nesting season, during winter season they forage together.

As far as your cat goes, you need to be more concerned about allowing your domesticated cat to roam free unsupervised. The domesticated cat is not a natural predator to wildlife. Cats kill hundreds of millions of songbirds yearly, as well as billions of rodents yearly. Do yourself a favor, as well as, your cat and be a responsible cat owner, keep your cat in the house. Do your research. Domesticated cats kill for sport, play with the birds they catch or rodents, and leave it to die, taking food from the natural predator's mouth which is the owls' and hawks' food that they need to survive.

Songbirds, including bluejays, are protected by law. You have no business whatsoever shooting at birds; it is against the law. You need to research before you put feeders up, I would suggest changing birdseed, certain birds only eat certain type of birdseed. This will take care of the bluejays. If you don't want them at your feeders, change to a different seed as well as buy feeders that are made only for small birds. (04/07/2010)

By wen

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I don't believe in shooting birds that's sick. Then if your using bullets hopefully they don't hit someone on their way back down.
I found a way to get rid of all the blue jays that were attacking my song birds. Those jays are mean birds. I got a CD from a site called Crow be Gone. Not because I had a crow problem, oh no, it was a blue jay problem I had. They had been so successful with Crow be Gone they made a CD called BlueJay be Gone and it worked like a charm. I haven't had a blue jay drop by in 2 months time now. Now don't get me wrong jays are a very pretty bird yet they seem to be the bad boys on the block and they had to go. I love my song birds and they are at peace now with the jays gone. I hope this information will help someone who is having issues with blue jays.

Larry (07/30/2010)

By larry

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Look when you make the decision to bird feed, you will attract all different types of wild life. If some of you would actually observe the blue jays your negative views about them would be different. Do you not know that the bluejays establish pecking orders like all other wildlife, that does not mean smaller birds are bullied, they are
able to eat at the feeders as well. Once blue jays establish territory, they share equal time at the feeders. The birds work it out as far as the times they eat at the feeders, they take turns. Songbirds benefit from having blue jays at your feeders. Bluejays are just as good as a watch dog whenever any predators are around, they let all the other wildlife know. It shows a lot about a person's character when you feed small songbirds then you are negative and sometimes cruel to the other wildlife you draw in such as squirrels and blue jays. (01/25/2011)

By wen

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Can you afford bird netting? It is against the law to shoot a blue jay which is protected by law. (01/25/2011)

By wen