FloralCrafts

Making Orchid Leis

Today I saw orchid leis for $19.99 at our grocery store. I very tempted to get one, but does anyone know how to make them? I kind some ideas are using a needle with a strong thread like quilting thread (maybe dental floss) and run the needle through the middle of the orchid, and continue going till enough to make a long necklace size (maybe 20 inches).

My Mom is 93, she is having blood transfusions almost everyday, but may decide to come home for a bit and I would love to make one for her. I am not sure where I would find that many orchids, so maybe I should buy it already made. Any ideas?

My Mom also loves the fragrance of a flower called daphne Odora? Does anyone know of a perfume that smells like that? Avon's hand cream in the turquoise tube smells like it. Thanks, for any ideas, and your prayers will be appreciated as well.

Kersti from Bellevue

Sorry not much help in the flower area.
I will remember your mom in my prayers and hope
she feels well soon. The flowers sound like a nice
idea. Try browsing the AVON site for the name of the
lotion.

I did a google search, and found that daphne Odora is also known as winterr daphne, or fragrant daphne. Maybe you could do a search with those terms? Good luck.

It might be cheaper to buy it---you may think so when checking out the price of orchids!!!! They are beautiful but kind of expensive.

If you do decide it is cost-effective to string your own orchids, make "spacers" to put between the flowers so they stay spread out. The easiest thing to do is take clear plastic drinking straws and cut them into small pieces (1 inch or less) and string one of these spacers between each flower.

I know I am way behind on this one but I was going to suggest using silk flowers. They would be a lot less expensive and last much longer.

Please let us know how your mom is doing.