Can You Put a Metal Coffee Can In The Oven?

Can you put a metal coffee can in the oven? I want to bake a circular gingerbread form around the coffee can, would this work?

Dana from Clearwater, FL

I have seen a lot of recipes for coffee can bread. Just make sure it is all metal of course with no plastic parts, label off etc. I dont know if it matters if there is a painted on label or not. I would just stick with all metal.

http://www.goog … coffee+can+bread

Years ago I made mini quickbreads in SOUP cans. This wasn't the recipe I used but gives you the general idea:

http://www.dvo. … mber/remedy.html

I used to do this a lot back in the '80's and it was fine but who knows what kind of paint they use on those things nowadays? Try to find a can with a paper label you can remove and if you cant find one buy a baking pan made for this purpose. I'm sure it's pricey but it's better than ingesting something toxic.

We used to bake bread in metal coffee cans.

I use metal 48 oz. juice cans for making my bread in all the time, just spray the inside with oil bake as usual
I make 8 loaves at a time, they fit easily inot the oven. Just the right size and shape for many of the lunch meats and hamburgers of course. I just made 8 loaves this am. I also use cofee.

As long as there is no label or paint on the can itself you can use it. There is no paint inside the can so no toxic issue. I love brown bread made in soup cans.

I wouldn't worry about the painted cans. So many of us made bread this way back in the 70's and 80's without harm. The cans are sealed under heat before they leave the coffee roasting plants without ill effects to the workers. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to try it again and amaze my granddaughters!

Yes, I'm sure you can. I remember my mother used to bake "Brown Bread" in a coffee can so it would have the round shape. Naturally, you wouldn't put a coffee can into a microwave oven! annabelle in Phoenix

Yes, I'm sure you can. I recall my mother using a coffee can to make Brown Bread. That way it would have the round shapeand look so pretty when sliced.

You betcha! I've even used different size tuna cans, lunch meat cans etc. To bake odd sized/ shaped cakes for wedding cakes/ birthdays and more. Sally Lund bread used to be baked in coffee cans all the time, recipe even called for it.

Yes..just make sure you peel off the label, if it's glued on, of course! I've made pumpkin bread for yrs. using coffee cans.

Thank you for all your feedback!